DEMO All Seeing Eye fuzz (MoodySounds Zeygot)

This post contains an audio or video demo

Fama

I just had to build this one first when I got the latest enclosures I had printed at Tayda because it looked gorgeous (and the idea behind it is quite interesting).

Basically it's a fuzz with a feedback mode, which produces weird and interesting squealing noises - plus the feedback mode is controlled with a LDR. So of course I had to go with an All Seeing Eye theme, with the LDR in the eye.

I had some trouble with the LED wiring that I posted about, plus I substituted a couple of resistors and a pot since I was dumb and didn't order the right parts for this build. I'll probably change the fuzz pot since it should have been C2k and the closest I had was A10k, so I used that and a resistor in parallel to bring it down. But the taper is very funky now, basically all of the control is around the last 10% of the rotation.

One other resistor (which I socketed) was too big which might mean it has too little gain. It works fine for me, since I usually let the amp models do a bunch of the heavy lifting too.

Finally, the LDR and LED bezels are not steady (and I think the LDR might even move up and down inside the bezel), I'll have to figure out if I can tape them somehow or maybe just glue them.

But at least everything worked (except the LED) on the first try and I didn't make any mistakes (apart from not ordering everything beforehand), so all in all it went pretty good. I'll post a gutshot later on, I also have a couple of other builds I will probably post eventually.

Edit: Here's your gutshot. Please be gentle, it's my first time and I feel shy 👀

DSC_2218.JPG

Last edited:
That’s pretty awesome, but if there’s no gut shot it never happened….
Fine, I posted your gutshot, overall I think it's ok considering how messy my builds usually are, the RGB LED + LDR make it messier for sure. But not really anything comparable to what people usually post here.

Edit: I should probably also cut that extra leg on the RGB LED - maybe I'll do it when I switch the pot to the correct one. Also there's one cap and one resistor socketed, resistor since I used a 10 ohm when I think a 4.3 ohm resistor was called for? At least it was listed as a 4Ω3. The cap sounded like a low pass filter for the feedback loop, but tbh it didn't sound too piercing to me. Not quite sure what the trimmer does, I'll test it at some point.

Fine, I posted your gutshot, overall I think it's ok considering how messy my builds usually are, the RGB LED + LDR make it messier for sure. But not really anything comparable to what people usually post here.

Edit: I should probably also cut that extra leg on the RGB LED - maybe I'll do it when I switch the pot to the correct one. Also there's one cap and one resistor socketed, resistor since I used a 10 ohm when I think a 4.3 ohm resistor was called for? At least it was listed as a 4Ω3. The cap sounded like a low pass filter for the feedback loop, but tbh it didn't sound too piercing to me. Not quite sure what the trimmer does, I'll test it at some point.
Off board wiring can be challenging, it’s all about being patient and taking your time, it’s easy to get frustrated and say “F it “ then rush through just to get it put together because its just “for looks” especially when you get into builds that requires more off board work. Challenging work is always more rewarding, next one challenge yourself, you only get better, it’s not the end product that impresses it’s how much love you put into it. Great demo by the way.

I just had to build this one first when I got the latest enclosures I had printed at Tayda because it looked gorgeous (and the idea behind it is quite interesting).

Basically it's a fuzz with a feedback mode, which produces weird and interesting squealing noises - plus the feedback mode is controlled with a LDR. So of course I had to go with an All Seeing Eye theme, with the LDR in the eye.

I had some trouble with the LED wiring that I posted about, plus I substituted a couple of resistors and a pot since I was dumb and didn't order the right parts for this build. I'll probably change the fuzz pot since it should have been C2k and the closest I had was A10k, so I used that and a resistor in parallel to bring it down. But the taper is very funky now, basically all of the control is around the last 10% of the rotation.

One other resistor (which I socketed) was too big which might mean it has too little gain. It works fine for me, since I usually let the amp models do a bunch of the heavy lifting too.

Finally, the LDR and LED bezels are not steady (and I think the LDR might even move up and down inside the bezel), I'll have to figure out if I can tape them somehow or maybe just glue them.

But at least everything worked (except the LED) on the first try and I didn't make any mistakes (apart from not ordering everything beforehand), so all in all it went pretty good. I'll post a gutshot later on, I also have a couple of other builds I will probably post eventually.

Edit: Here's your gutshot. Please be gentle, it's my first time and I feel shy 👀

View attachment 47670

Man that sounds freaking awesome!

That’s insanely cool! That’s some seriously beefy fuzz. I feel like I would like the LDR to be in a little 1590lb remote box for easier access, but you seem to be rocking it pretty well as is.

That’s insanely cool! That’s some seriously beefy fuzz. I feel like I would like the LDR to be in a little 1590lb remote box for easier access, but you seem to be rocking it pretty well as is.
Hmm, would it work with a normal mono jack? I don't know how exactly that works. The originals (on the MoodySounds website) had the LDR in a corner (plus a momentary footswitch), which makes it easier to access for sure. I went more for aesthetics since it's more of a gimmicky toy for me than something I would use at a gig or anything.

Mono jack would work perfectly since you only have to make sure there are connections to the pads on the board corresponding to the legs of the LDR.

Back