Shorting Jacks?

radam84

So this may sound like a dumb question but I didnt even know these existed until just a few moments ago

1710566553273.png
What is the main purpose for these. What type of use case would they serve in pedal building(if any). Also I guess while Im here is there any reason to not just buy stereo jacks and wire them up as mono, instead of stocking two different types of jacks.

You could use them for an effects loop that is automatically bypassed when nothing is plugged in to the jacks, or as an input jack that grounds itself to mute the signal when the cable is unplugged (instead of buzzing/humming loudly).

The TRS versions are used for expression pedal inputs where a potentiometer is active when nothing is plugged into the jack.

So this may sound like a dumb question but I didnt even know these existed until just a few moments ago

What is the main purpose for these. What type of use case would they serve in pedal building(if any). Also I guess while Im here is there any reason to not just buy stereo jacks and wire them up as mono, instead of stocking two different types of jacks.
Here's it's grandpappy.
G27306-96dpi.jpg
2 switches. One NO, one NC.

You could use them for an effects loop that is automatically bypassed when nothing is plugged in to the jacks, or as an input jack that grounds itself to mute the signal when the cable is unplugged (instead of buzzing/humming loudly).

The TRS versions are used for expression pedal inputs where a potentiometer is active when nothing is plugged into the jack.
These can give you grief if you don't use the effects loop as they are known for getting a bad or intermittent contact & you can start blaming Leads & Valves ect ect ect!
I believe they can be dodgy Amp repairers best friend!??? for making a Dollar!

These can give you grief if you don't use the effects loop as they are known for getting a bad or intermittent contact & you can start blaming Leads & Valves ect ect ect!
I believe they can be dodgy Amp repairers best friend!??? for making a Dollar!
I’ve seen some of these that were so bad the switch failed after the first use. Since then I only ever use Switchcraft brand… but the cost is so high that I only use them when I absolutely need to.

The types of jacks to use are primarily circuit dependent. There are arguments to be made for using open-frame vs closed-frame jacks - dependent on available space for their use. These closed-frame TRS switching jacks can be very handy . . . . (from LoveMySwitches) . . .

TRS_Switching_Jack_Details.png

This open-frame TRS variety ("Switchcraft 14B" - from Parts Express) can be space savers, but more expensive . . .

Switchcraft_14B_Jack_01.jpg

There are also these, but they use up the most space of any of the TRS switching jacks . . . .

TRS_Switching_Jack_02.png

Last edited:
You could use them for an effects loop that ... grounds itself to mute the signal when the cable is unplugged (instead of buzzing/humming loudly).
I use switched outlets for this very reason, just put a resistor across the leads that is completely out of the circuit when the cable is inserted.

I’ve seen some of these that were so bad the switch failed after the first use. Since then I only ever use Switchcraft brand… but the cost is so high that I only use them when I absolutely need to.
I test every component when I'm building an amp, including the switch on the jacks. I was testing a switchcraft and THE SWITCH WASN'T MAKING CONTACT. My jaw hit the floor. I folded some 1000 grit sandpaper in half so both sides were the sandy side, opened the switch with a screwdriver blade and put the paper in between the contacts and pulled in each direction a few times.

Worked after that. SO ALWAYS TEST JACKS!!! Even the mighty switchcrafts can fail.....

Last edited:
I test every component when I'm building an amp, including the switch on the jacks. I was testing a switchcraft and THE SWITCH WASN'T MAKING CONTACT. My jaw hit the floor. I folded some 1000 grit sandpaper in half so both sides were the sandy side, opened the switch with a screwdriver blade and put the paper in between the contacts and pulled in each direction a few times.

Worked after that. SO ALWAYS TEST JACKS!!! Even the mighty switchcrafts can fail.....
I couldn’t agree more! I’ve seen Switchcraft fail before, so I always pre-tin and check before using. But I’ll say the failure rate is pretty low from my experience.
Now these knockoffs I tried, all 6 failed!

Ok cool, Thats handy to know about expression pedal input, really want to do some stuff with expression input

I always buy the stereo version so I only need to keep one jack that can be used in several applications.
OK so then theres no real issues doing this than potential mistakes to be made. Glad to know I only need to order/stock one type of jack lol.

Back