Why aren't folks using better US made vintage germanium diodes?

Nothing worth buying would require this much selling.
Good lord, why the obsession with people selling stuff. I am not the Avon lady.
Please carry on and keep calm.
Some folks have told me there were bad vibes and history on that from other entities.
Please keep in mind I am not privy to that.

Thanks for those open minded cats out there who wanted to try some. I think I better cut off samples now .. as postage does cost $ and I am not made of money..
If they don't work out, I can post a video of a sledge hammer coming down on the box.. if that makes everyone feel better.

And to that end. Mission accomplished. I did meet a couple of nice hobbyists on here that want to try these. That's all I was really after. ...like you said originally. And, thank you. I will say the attacks on character and snake oil talk have been upsetting.. but I guess that goes with the territory.
I responded with the boring comment when people laid the $5 diode thing on me. I apologized for the offense.
I say you guys are hiding behind the security of what works, and might be afraid to try something new / funky / better, what-have-you. this is human nature and maybe you have 8000 1N34 already in your closet. Again.. that's fine by me.. you guys have been very consistent in saying those work great. Maybe these do too.
Do we know if we don't try?

It's not fine to denigrate a device you've never tried. No matter how many Pedals you have built.

If somebody wants to question the specs.. or the leakage.. In fact I am before sending some out.
I am TOTALLY willing to check things..
And you already know the answers to most of the questions.

If someone choses the same diode as the next 1000th person, because that is what is sold on ebay... and that is what a pedal build used... . I don't think that qualifies as breaking new ground, hence the "boring comment" does that like, make any sense?

I am happy to talk techincal stuff on here. I would not have dared to comment without the spec sheet to prove these were possibly usable in pedals (which so far no one has said, whew!! ).
These will obviously have different behavior in circuit... or maybe they won't.. sounds like either will be an OK outcome.
Frankly, my biggest concern is that they may not work at all. If so, that's life.

C'mon guys, does this sound like Snake Oil?
That seems like very loose use of that label.
Do you want to see the car I drive? I bet it's older and more worn out than yours.
holy shit. this fucking guy. "hiding behind the security of what works" ... you, sir, are a fucking douchebag and you have my open invitation to kick rocks and take your grossly overpriced warez with you.

Can you truly not understand why folks believe that you are trying to sell these diodes?
I understand that fear, yes. No I get that part of it. But not the "hate of the unknown" or even "hate of the known, if it costs $5" ...

If I was selling for the sake of sales, I really could just lie about these devices to buyers , rather than get lambasted on here for it.
that's not how I want to roll.
If you don't think people like different devices.. please google WE 300b vs 2a3 (even though a 2A3 does all the same jobs, just as good albeit at different operation points). And before @PedalBuilder or someone says that's because they are using for gain -- I have many customers who use them in Power Supplies!!! Not even in the audio path. And you know, I tell them to use a $15 dollar 5u4 instead... but they don't want to. because they like the Idea of using a quality part in the bowel of their tube build.
I don't ridicule them for being a layman or idiotic, or cork-sniffing.
People for the most part, like Western Electric components because of the higher build and sound quality. This may or may not matter for diodes.. I just want you to know that it will probably matter to some, and being open minded to that is OK.

And, if you missed my answer to someone, 35 pages ago (joke!).. and wait for it..... wait for it.... I dooo sell them! 5pcs for $22. I have sold, maybe 3 lots over 3 freaki'n years. .....
No customers have given me feedback on them, because they were doing otherstuff with them (not pedals). And, because.. apparantly to you guys... I am such a technical dunce, as to not know anything about Pedal building..
I actually then had the gaul to come on here and offer a few people sample to see if they are trash... or not!
Spending and losing personal money on postage.

If hear back that these pretty much, bad-ass diodes do work, at least as well as a Sylvania, for something.. then my evil capitalist self will sleep better at night knowing that they *do* work in pedals.

The reason they cost $22/5pcs
1) I bought them (believe it or not)
2) takes me time and tape to process the order
3) Ebay charges about 12% fees
4) I often loose a little $ on shipping.

So I am maybe grossing (not netting) about $3.50 each for time, trouble and work. That clearly evil I guess.

The fact that you guys can get 30pcs for $5 is to me sick. I don't know how anyone could live on that.
Anybody heard of living wage? (joke, sort of)
Do you guys rip on PedalPCB this hard?

holy shit. this fucking guy. "hiding behind the security of what works" ... you, sir, are a fucking douchebag and you have my open invitation to kick rocks and take your grossly overpriced warez with you.
I am leaving. I met a few hobbyists like I said. (2 or three sample takers, I think) Postage was on my dime. And I expect nothing in return, other than an non public opinion.
Will keep private, here on out.
This thread is Over as far as I am concerned.
I am sorry if I made people angry.. and I feel bad about all the back and forth -- it's made me sick, and hurt my feelings a bit.

I hope you all have no hard feelings, though.
Take care and best regards to all.

Last edited:
"I say you guys are hiding behind the security of what works, and might be afraid to try something new / funky / better, what-have-you."

Bud, you have "100%" missed the point of what everyone feels here. We have ALL tried tons of "mojo" diodes and we have all come to the conclusion that the "cheaper" stuff sounds exactly the same.

Even with NOS transistors........the name literally means nothing, it's the specs they carry. If a $.10 2n5088 transistor has the same specs as a NOS transistor for the job, it's not hard to decide what to buy. People will still buy the NOS stuff for aesthetic alone, but that group of people will never grow to massive numbers. It's a finite group.

Nobody wanted to intentionally hurt feelings. The constant harping that we were all wrong when we have all been through this before, stirred the pot

Hey @DeadAirMD....I was going to stay shut up on this.. But now you are moving into an area I was trying to politely say abreast of for all the same reasons, and worse.
I don't really want the last word here, and it's off topic. I don't think so of you guys want me starting any new threads.
I think you are right to want to compare specs.
I am curious where switching speed or, "slew rate" (for transistor's that's more like (ft) is of your favorite cheap devices. This is a key differing spec I am not seeing anyone mention. Schottkey diodes are way faster than Germanium I think.
There are allot of factors you guys may or may not be geeking out on, when it comes to Diodes... and Transistors are worse.

So will state some specs:
Transistors different beast.. more active in the context even of building pedals. Now you're talking about an active device providing amplification, and most certainly in your signal path. Also you and @PedalBuilder are sort of saying differing. Pedalbuilder said it's not so much specs and viewing on a scope, it's more how it sounds.

OK, lets talk specs and ratings of "so called mojo stuff".

You are mentioning a 2N5088. That's not even germanium. That's a silicon, and of course it's going to have a much different operating characteristic and sound.
So lets compare some Germaniums... (Western Electric transistors, are not Germanium ~ they are actually Germanium Alloy)
(WE used an alloy to prevent the drift, and enhance heat stability among other things. While this may not lend itself to fidelity.. it sure as hell does sound and work a little different.)

Lets use some not perfect, but close examples... I drafted up a quick table using factory published specs with not much sales blather.
I chose a RCA 2N consumer transistor, but I think specs on other are about the same.
I should be comparing transistors intended strictly for audio. But there are not many of those, and the microwave and under transistors, mostly all work fine.

Based on specs... same package size.
All things being equal, you've got to say the WE looks at very least, interesting..compared to any other brand. .
You be the judge.
I am also attaching a photo of the specs, in which I drew this out of.
I think there is a much better argument for "diodes of equal specs all sounding the same".
But, the specs have to be the same. Since this was expensive military grade stuff, most of the specs are not the same, and cannot be easily equaled by any other brand in the same package. I am not saying they will sound better in your project, but I am saying they will be different and not easily matched by much else in your "mojo stash". Sometimes military, super grade, and aerospace stuff *does not* sound better in HiFi land. I always recommend consumer tubes, over RCA command series tubes for instance.

There may be a mistake here, so if there is something that you see crazy different, I have attached the real WE paper .
The Thermal Resistance, spec is referring to heat tolerance, not Electrical.
I have 3 more pages of specs, if anybody wants to see all of the charts.

1718939019872.png

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Honest question: can superior manufacturing overcome any of the inherent limitations of germanium semiconductors?

Personally, I’m a bit neurotic about potential failures in my builds (which are for me just a hobby), so I rarely use germanium even when the BOM calls for it. In particular, I rarely use ge diodes, and almost always use e.g. BAT41 instead.

One of my earliest builds was the BYOC Silver Pony (Klone). This was a kit build, where all the parts came with the purchase (quite literally paint by numbers). It didn’t work quite right. BYOC helped me quite a bit both on the forums and via private emails. We couldn’t figure it out, so they had me send it in. Turned out to be bad ge diodes. They fixed it for me (even cleaned up some of my shabby lead dress!) and sent it back in perfect working condition.

Besides the appreciation for BYOC’s exemplary customer support, the bad ge diodes left an impression on me, and have made me approach ge with some trepidation ever since.

Besides that personal experience, I know Skreddy (boutique builder) is moving away from ge due to the inherent reliability issues (he says so directly on his Screwdriver product page IIRC).

The point is, we know germanium is technically inferior to silicon.

Hence my question - is it realistically or even theoretically possible to overcome some or all of ge’s fundamental limitations through superior/advanced manufacturing?

That seems to be part of the pitch here. But it’s also kind of a fun thought experiment: let’s say we started making ge semiconductors again - would 50+ years of technological advancement allow us to make a ge semiconductor capable of competing with silicon in any application?

Honest question: can superior manufacturing overcome any of the inherent limitations of germanium semiconductors?

Personally, I’m a bit neurotic about potential failures in my builds (which are for me just a hobby), so I rarely use germanium even when the BOM calls for it. In particular, I rarely use ge diodes, and almost always use e.g. BAT41 instead.

One of my earliest builds was the BYOC Silver Pony (Klone). This was a kit build, where all the parts came with the purchase (quite literally paint by numbers). It didn’t work quite right. BYOC helped me quite a bit both on the forums and via private emails. We couldn’t figure it out, so they had me send it in. Turned out to be bad ge diodes. They fixed it for me (even cleaned up some of my shabby lead dress!) and sent it back in perfect working condition.

Besides the appreciation for BYOC’s exemplary customer support, the bad ge diodes left an impression on me, and have made me approach ge with some trepidation ever since.

Besides that personal experience, I know Skreddy (boutique builder) is moving away from ge due to the inherent reliability issues (he says so directly on his Screwdriver product page IIRC).

Hence my question - is it realistically or even theoretically possible to overcome some or all of ge’s fundamental limitations through superior/advanced manufacturing?

That seems to be part of the pitch here. But it’s also kind of a fun thought experiment: let’s say we started making ge semiconductors again - would 50+ years of technological advancement allow us to make a ge semiconductor capable of competing with silicon in any application?
I've never heard of germanium parts failing in use (outside of burning them when soldering or feeding them the wrong kind of power, although I'm sure it's possible for them to fail over time too, in some cases), rather the way it's usually been framed is about 1.) variability and 2.) temperature stability.

So I would suspect the reliability is more about those issues (plus the reliability of supply these days) rather than failing over time.

As for how good Ge semiconductors we could make these the answer is probably "definitely better than what they could back then if we had the market, the time and the money to build up and research manufacturing for that". The easiest way to improve on variability would be to test and bin them at the factory, of course. And I'm sure temperature stability could be messed with too (you could even implement something like the Benson heater trick inside the part itself).

But I don't think that's really important for this discussion. We can get around variability by testing and matching the parts ourselves. Not sure if the temperature stability would be much better than other parts, and frankly that's usually brought up with transistors and not diodes (although it could affect diodes too, I don't know). The temp thing usually isn't a huge priority since most of us are more "bedroom player" type people, and not "outdoor gig in the sun" type people, as far as I can tell.

Now, the obvious drawback with matching the parts yourself is cost, since you need to buy more parts to get matching ones. But then, the issue with these magic diodes is also cost, so that pretty much cancels out straight away.

Are you asking me? (I have been muzzled, I think) -
Yes, talking transistors.... germanium is inferior in leakage and heat. And Germanium Alloy (WE) is only some better. Nothing like silicon.

I am not pitching anything, but it seems I have been drawn into a debate that pits me, against people who think "all diodes and transistors of matching spec sound the same." Since that does not agree with my personal experience... and that of my customers (for both cheap and expensive items)... then I am countering them, hopefully with logic. And if I have time.. then specs.

- but you asked... Yes, according to WE. I am looking now, but their test / life failure date was published allot of times with most of the devices (as uses were often critical). Naturally they did not want Nike missle systems to screw up, so yeah.. the failure rate when these things were new was really, really low, compared to consumer grade stuff.
Now, if we are comparing pulled, used parts (which they often are, and have seen hours) an age -- this degrades things.

If you are building new stuff and you want absolute relibility, I would just use new stuff too. That's not what I was arguing.
New Schottkey's for instance.. I am sure they never fail? You guys tell me.
Sound quality or tone? I would try it this old stuff (check the specs to see if it's like to make a difference to you.
(Old stuff is relatively cheap on ebay... no one really wants this old stuff yet, I would say.. just you wait).

Most people here are hobbyists that build for themselves. Many have grown tired of hyperbolic ad-speak that proclaims magic qualities to a circuit's components. Some like to paint by numbers, others like to tear things apart and see how they work, and others still like to build new things with knowledge they've gained while in this space. Many guitar pedals do things well outside the intended designs of the parts used. If you study audio processing or analog design, there will not be modules discussing how to create fuzz, distortion, and overdrive. Guitar pedal circuit designers exploit parts to achieve certain sounds. Just because a part was engineers to handle going to space doesn't mean that any additional benefit will be imparted to a guitar pedal--even if it is objectively a better engineered device.
here's an idea: if you're not a pedal builder yourself, commission someone here to build you a pedal with the diodes socketed (try something like a prince of tone, which allows you to switch between hard and soft clipping). Then you can do some experimentation on your own. Record something and share the clips.
  1. I really hate to harp on this – – but "the saying don't knock it till you try it" is popular for a reason. I really don't think you can generalize unless you have literally been out pulling frome vintage from equipment like I have been for decades. And for the record I didn't personally clip these out of circuit – – some WE dude did a long time ago because he thought they were "of value". Maybe that means something.
I was honestly just wondering why people did not stuff boards with an actual Sylvania 1N34 (sometimes) ... when they A: are old and cool and B: might in someone's fantasy sound better. In my experience... old audio parts make people happy, and they often get good results in sound.. hows that for crazy talk?

...At that level (if you get a stable signal, you can see some interesting vary smooth / roughness in a sine wave) It's possible we can hear that, as human hearing works differently compared to instruments. Textures can come out. Not trying to talk crazy talk here.. if you can see something on a scope,, that is somewhat empirical.. wouldn't you agree?
Hey man, thumbs up on the second part of your comment. I don't disagree. But people do like the sound, feel, or quirky operation of some of these parts, I hope you can agree with that.
I think hifitown just wants someone with some pedal building experience to try out his diodes and see if they sound any different from the ones that are normally used.
My motto is, 'If it sounds good - it is good.'

Sometimes cheap sounds better, depending on what you are trying to accomplish with components. IMHO, diodes for clipping have pretty much two variables to consider in design: forward voltage and forward voltage amperage curve, and I feel sometimes people suffer the placebo effect with these very simple circuits.

I bought a bunch of 0A2 Russian germanium diodes for about 20 cents each, and they have resulted is some fantastic tones. If the expensive diodes really make a difference for you, then that is awesome. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.
It's not fine to denigrate a device you've never tried. No matter how many Pedals you have built.

All of this is exactly my point. We believe you that these diodes are high quality and precision-engineered and maybe rare and somewhat different, and maybe that's why they're so expensive, okay great. The problem is that none of that stuff matters here. If what we were building were space probes and heavy machinery and scientific instruments (don't even get me started there) then maybe it might be worth starting to talk about the tech specs and comparing the quality of the engineering. There is no question at all that these things WILL work as clipping diodes in a pedal (I don't think there's any reason for them not to, they're just a silicon small-signal diode, right) so let's forget about that. The unanswered question is how do they sound? If they sound good and someone likes them then they might be worth it to that person and that's like, the end of the discussion. Just try the diodes and see how they sound.

If you guys can show me that cheap stuff is fundamentally better than more expensive stuff like even 60 or 70% of the time, then please do.

No one said this. No one thinks this. Being "realistic" about expectations of cost to performance ratio doesn't mean "blindly pay more for an item because it must be better because it's more expensive", there are plenty of examples where this is starkly not the case - and "better" is a real moving target depending on the requirements of the application, which IS the point. Let's agree that there's nothing wrong with any of the typical diodes that we are all using as clippers in pedals, these are plenty well-enough engineered for this application (defective or damaged samples notwithstanding) and generally dirt cheap.

I skimmed most of this thread (although not super closely so forgive me if this has already come up). I feel like there's a disconnect here between what someone would prioritize when they want high fidelity play back. Like someone looking to get the best listening experience for their records. Versus performance playback. I have so much shit in my signal chain the element in the clipping diodes I'm using is pretty much only noticable if I'm switching between an LED and anything else (si, ge). Even then, once I've compensated for volume the tonal difference is pretty negligible. If I want the compression of a silicon diode with my LED clipping I can turn up the gain.

My favorite guitar isn't even grounded. I play noisey music though so it doesn't really matter. I did spend $15 on an lm301 in the metal can format a few months ago. It looks great (in the pedal that I will never open up ever again).

Back