2N270 source or substitute for Mister Fuzz please? 2N527 would be ok? others?

Abyssmal

I'm now done with bom carts for 8 pedals, just this one i can't find and not sure which substitute would work best.
I'm surprised there is no thread about this substitute for mister fuzz on this forum
Thank you!

Banzai had them last time I looked. AES used to carry them, but out of stock at the moment. As with most anything germanium, identify the specs you need for the circuit and sub any pnp with those specs. It’s best to not get hung up on specific part numbers.

Banzai had them last time I looked. AES used to carry them, but out of stock at the moment. As with most anything germanium, identify the specs you need for the circuit and sub any pnp with those specs. It’s best to not get hung up on specific part numbers.
I emailed banzai about it, they can't get them anymore.
Yeah so i look at the datasheet of 2n270 and try to find one very close to it?
What are the most important spec detail to match?
I'm not so much used to find alternatives for transistors, especialy the very old ones.

The main spec is whether its NPN or PNP! And even that can be worked around. :) It's mainly hfe and leakage. Although I'm generally not a fan of socketing components (apart from ICs) I do like to socket Ge transistors because even if a germanium tranny specs out ok you can still find one which might sound better.

I can't seem to find the diystompboxes posts I had bookmarked on the FZ-1 but the transistors for it are really finicky. This was either from Smallbear's write-up of their (PNP) take on the circuit or in one of the diystompbox posts I can't seem to find at the moment:
  • Q1: 60-80 hfe, low leakage (~150 ua)
  • Q2: 80-90 hfe, medium leakage (~200 ua)
  • Q3: 100+ hfe, high leakage (~250-300 ua)
I haven't built the Mister Fuzz board I have so hopefully others can weigh in if this tracks with their builds.

I can't seem to find the diystompboxes posts I had bookmarked on the FZ-1 but the transistors for it are really finicky. This was either from Smallbear's write-up of their (PNP) take on the circuit or in one of the diystompbox posts I can't seem to find at the moment:
  • Q1: 60-80 hfe, low leakage (~150 ua)
  • Q2: 80-90 hfe, medium leakage (~200 ua)
  • Q3: 100+ hfe, high leakage (~250-300 ua)
I haven't built the Mister Fuzz board I have so hopefully others can weigh in if this tracks with their builds.

Ok i think i understand but when people say some hfe value, is it usualy when at 1mA ?
I was looking at this datasheet for 2N2907 and it seems there is many measurements of hfe...

I'm now done with bom carts for 8 pedals, just this one i can't find and not sure which substitute would work best.
I'm surprised there is no thread about this substitute for mister fuzz on this forum
Thank you!
i'm surprised there seems to be no info about good subs for the 2N270s too....i'm about to build this soon and i really aint interested in paying a premium price for some germanium transistors...so yes,i'd love to know of some proper trannies that will work and sound good...let me know if you hear anything and i'll do the same

i'm surprised there seems to be no info about good subs for the 2N270s too....i'm about to build this soon and i really aint interested in paying a premium price for some germanium transistors...so yes,i'd love to know of some proper trannies that will work and sound good...let me know if you hear anything and i'll do the same
I found this:

I suspect any PNP germanium will give you good results.

Any germaniums with the above specs will do. Part number is irrelevant.
You can always tweak the input and output caps and the value of the volume pot of the tone is too dark/bright.

Breadboard the circuit and make sure to experiment with the taper of the pots.
You can also manipulate the 470k to get a different amount of fuzz on the Attack knob.

Any germaniums with the above specs will do. Part number is irrelevant.
You can always tweak the input and output caps and the value of the volume pot of the tone is too dark/bright.

Breadboard the circuit and make sure to experiment with the taper of the pots.
You can also manipulate the 470k to get a different amount of fuzz on the Attack knob.
right on..i appreciate it

Back