50s wiring

Ctrl4Smilerz

I'd like to attempt to take out a treble bleed, and redo the wiring to 50s wiring. Can I use the stranded 22 awg teflon wire I use in my pedals, or is there something else I should pick up?

Any wire will do the trick. I like cloth covered bc it looks neat, but your 22awg Teflon stuff will be 100% fine
So, I took a stab at it last night, and was able to use the existing wire. After it sounds much brighter, and there is no treble loss when I dial the volume down, but the tone pot no longer does anything. I'm going to open it up again, to figure out what I did wrong, but is there a way to test it, before I put everything back together and put the strings back on?

So, I took a stab at it last night, and was able to use the existing wire. After it sounds much brighter, and there is no treble loss when I dial the volume down, but the tone pot no longer does anything. I'm going to open it up again, to figure out what I did wrong, but is there a way to test it, before I put everything back together and put the strings back on?
You can test it by playing sound of some sort on your phone and holding it up to the pickups, or there’s the tried and true method of gently raking a screwdriver across the pole pieces of the pickups

Sid you use the Seymour Duncan diagram?

I wouldn't expect the tone pot to work if you left out the cap. It's kind of necessary to change the tone.
The truth is, I broke the cap that was in there and didn't have a suitable replacement on hand. I read (in this post) that you didn't need them. Next time I place an order I will get something to put in there. Any recommendations?

The truth is, I broke the cap that was in there and didn't have a suitable replacement on hand. I read (in this post) that you didn't need them. Next time I place an order I will get something to put in there. Any recommendations?
He only mentions not needing the treble cap. You still need the cap across the vol and tone.

If this is for a humbucker pickup (les paul style) the standard is .022uf for both neck and bridge, some people have put .018uf in the neck and say it sounds good. I have heard people use .015uf, .010uf, .033uf (in the bridge), and even .047uf.

0.022uF works well for P90s too, with 500k pots. Make sure the tone pot is logarithmic aka audio taper otherwise the control will be super subtle and then suddenly it'll go super dark.

Any film capacitor will do, no need to spend a ton on paper in oil bumble bees. Some of those are actually fake. It's one of the biggest scams out there. But some people can tell the difference between capacitor types. I can only tell between values.

Keep in mind that with 50s wiring the tone control also shaves off some volume and gain. It interacts with the volume. I love it.

With modern wiring (which I still have on my Yamaha SG) I find that I keep all the controls at 10. With 50s wiring (other guitars) I never have the controls at 10.

Back