A simple Relay Bypass

LCSC has suitable relays for cheap as chips and good shipping. If you're doing more than a couple relays, then having a vero may end up being a tedious, repetitive process for what is essentially a modular part. I just had 30 made with all the components on SMD except the relay for a buck a piece. With relay, it would have been ~$2.20 each (I just have an inventory of relays to use). That's not such a bad price if you build a lot of pedals.
i’m probably only going to do like x3 max. i don’t do heaps of builds.
just wanted to whip up those few on vero.

If you’re using a 9v relay, you don’t need to drop voltage/current, so you’d just use a jumper.
thanks for the tip :)

That relay is not the size you think it is. Take another look at the datasheet.
407B5EFD-9E78-437E-A7B3-58521C670287.jpeg
is this not the same spacing as in my layout?

so when i first fired up the circuit it was immediately apparent that my layout (above) had the bypass/active routing backwards (LED on in bypass).

revised layout (for 12V circuit, 520R/9V coil):
CDB RELAY SWITCH.PNG

verified :)
IMG_0050.JPG
fitted it to a CE-2 build running @ 12V. was quite a squeeze.
but it works!
it's an awesome switch. i love it.
thanks for sharing this circuit @Chuck D. Bones

If your plan is to have the LED glow one color when the relay is engaged and another color when the relay is disengaged, I can think of two ways to do it.
1. Add a transistor and two resistors to drive one of the LEDs to the opposite state of the other one.
2. Illuminate one of the LEDs constantly. A Red/Green LED will glow Red/Yellow or Green/Yellow, depending on which LED is on constantly.

If you had a 2-lead bidirectional LED, then there is another option.

If your plan is to have the LED glow one color when the relay is engaged and another color when the relay is disengaged, I can think of two ways to do it.
1. Add a transistor and two resistors to drive one of the LEDs to the opposite state of the other one.
2. Illuminate one of the LEDs constantly. A Red/Green LED will glow Red/Yellow or Green/Yellow, depending on which LED is on constantly.

If you had a 2-lead bidirectional LED, then there is another option.

How would #1 integrate into your existing simple bypass?

Quick question as I try and do some design work for the Forum Univibe:

If I were to use more than one DPDT relay for the Speed switching, am I correct in this assumption:

If I place two relay coils in parallel, would I use their parallel resistances in the coil resistance calc to get my proper coil resistor?

Quick question as I try and do some design work for the Forum Univibe:

If I were to use more than one DPDT relay for the Speed switching, am I correct in this assumption:

If I place two relay coils in parallel, would I use their parallel resistances in the coil resistance calc to get my proper coil resistor?
Yes, but the 555 does not have infinite drive capability. When powered by 9V, we cannot expect the 555 to sink more than 30mA. If the sum of the coil currents exceed that, then you need a MOSFET to drive the coils. This is an example "requirements creep" where a circuit works fine until someone changes the requirements.

This is just FYI. I made a discrete soft-touch toggle circuit for my TPA3118 power amp pedals that would also work for all this stuff, if anyone want such a thing. This link jumps to the post about it in the TPA3118 amp thread.

This is just FYI. I made a discrete soft-touch toggle circuit for my TPA3118 power amp pedals that would also work for all this stuff, if anyone want such a thing. This link jumps to the post about it in the TPA3118 amp thread.
This is cool. You may want to consider posting a new thread for this since it’s not really related to this circuit. 😁

I have a few questions that I haven't seen on this thread. Apologies if I'm covering old ground.

- Looking through relay datasheets it seems like current draw reduces with increasing coil voltage, which is to be expected. Given the current passes through the 555 which can't tolerate too much, is there any downside to simply using a relay with a 9v coil to remove R4 and minimise current draw?
- If we use a latching relay instead, besides other modifications, would I be right in thinking the limit on current through the 555 could be increased due to the short duration during state change? If so, perhaps a simple circuit could still be used to drive more than one relay if that was ever needed.
- Any idea what modifications would be required to make the circuit work with a latching relay? Pedalpcb's basic relay switching schematic is a fair bit more complicated for the latching relay option so I suspect modifications will end up sacrificing the simplicity but keen to hear if anyone thinks a similarly bare bones schematic may work.

Thanks,
Sam

Yes
No
More mods than are practical IMHO. Without getting into the gory details, if you want to reliably drive a latching relay, use a microcontroller.

Back