A simple Relay Bypass

The 555 debounces the switch by reacting instantaneously the first time the switch contacts close, then it takes a few 10s of milliseconds for the circuit to recover and be ready to toggle again once the contacts break. That way, contact bounce in the switch does not keep retriggering the 555.

Is there a difference in switching speed between NE555 and LM555?

I wouldn’t think so. There is a difference in priority of the threshold and trigger pins between the two, but they are tied together here.

According to the Texas Instruments & Fairchild datasheets, LM555 & NE555 are identical.

LM555 vs NE555.jpg

The priority of TRIGGER vs. THRESHOLD is not discussed in the datasheets. That means that priority is an undocumented feature which might be different between two 555 devices depending on who made the part & when. As Grant says above, it's moot for this design because TRIGGER & THRESHOLD are connected together, which precludes a conflict between the two.

Last edited:
It could just be my mind playing tricks on me. Maybe I should test Simple vs. Basic bypass and see if that is the difference.

what does the cost per board look like for this version? also, what kind of i/o jacks are you using for the other board?
With an order of 5:
  • ~€3 per board without relay (this is mainly because there is a $7 setup fee for assembly, so the price should drop to ~€1.50 or lower once you go above 5)
  • €1 for the relay
  • €1.80 for the footswitch
The IO jacks are from Daier:
  • DC are DC-005
  • 6.35mm are PJ-651A-01

Ha
With an order of 5:
  • ~€3 per board without relay (this is mainly because there is a $7 setup fee for assembly, so the price should drop to ~€1.50 or lower once you go above 5)
  • €1 for the relay
  • €1.80 for the footswitch
The IO jacks are from Daier:
  • DC are DC-005
  • 6.35mm are PJ-651A-01
Ha, ha! I also use JLCPCB and I’m thinking on buying parts directly from Daier to lower costs. Do you use EasyEDA? I would love a few tips about choosing specific components to generate an assembly order later.

Though I need to move a few components from the bottom to the top to have everything in one side, since JLCPCB only assembles single sides.

If you already posted something about this that I didn’t see, I would appreciate you pointing me to it. Thanks!

Because DIY is about sharing what you learn, what you get from others, paying it forward, and just having some sheepy love!

Thanks a lot. Makes me wonder, what was the reason to use 0402 size components? There is a room for 0603 and maybe even 0805 and that would be a bit easier to hand solder.

Ha

Ha, ha! I also use JLCPCB and I’m thinking on buying parts directly from Daier to lower costs. Do you use EasyEDA? I would love a few tips about choosing specific components to generate an assembly order later.

Though I need to move a few components from the bottom to the top to have everything in one side, since JLCPCB only assembles single sides.

If you already posted something about this that I didn’t see, I would appreciate you pointing me to it. Thanks!
Daier is great for hardware (switches, enclosures, knobs, jacks), LCSC is great for components in production (it's what JLCPCB uses), and JLCPCB is great for PCBs!

I haven't posted anything about the process, it took some multi-tasking to get the github repo set up :)

• I use DipTrace, but the same approach is true no matter what. You need to first get your component library setup, you can try and use an existing one but it's better to copy components from there into your own one for consistency (else you need to choose from 27 different 100k resistors each time).
  • JLCPCB has a basic parts library which is best to stick to (any part outside that is extended and will incur a $3 setup fee per component type, they have to load the pick and place machine). I have shared my DipTrace library via the link in my signature, but EasyEDA has the JLCPCB basic parts library in any case..

Thanks a lot. Makes me wonder, what was the reason to use 0402 size components? There is a room for 0603 and maybe even 0805 and that would be a bit easier to hand solder.
The pick and place robot doesn't complain about it. I just try and standardise my DipTrace component library. There are going to be instances where I need to go larger for power dissipation or because you can't get the voltage rating in that size, but 0402 is cheaper and smaller. What's not to love?

The smaller size also does come in handy, this was my second SMT layout and I was trying to avoid excessive vias. I just did another boost which is roughly 1.2x1cm which will be really useful as an add-on for any build which wants a boost option.

Daier is great for hardware (switches, enclosures, knobs, jacks), LCSC is great for components in production (it's what JLCPCB uses), and JLCPCB is great for PCBs!

I haven't posted anything about the process, it took some multi-tasking to get the github repo set up :)

• I use DipTrace, but the same approach is true no matter what. You need to first get your component library setup, you can try and use an existing one but it's better to copy components from there into your own one for consistency (else you need to choose from 27 different 100k resistors each time).
  • JLCPCB has a basic parts library which is best to stick to (any part outside that is extended and will incur a $3 setup fee per component type, they have to load the pick and place machine). I have shared my DipTrace library via the link in my signature, but EasyEDA has the JLCPCB basic parts library in any case..
Thanks a lot! I haven’t thought of simply creating a library myself. I always suffer selecting from 200 similar components with different prices from EasyEDA’s interface…
Thanks again. 😊

The goal is to minimize cuts, jumpers and area. Pins 5 & 6 on the relay are n/c, so you don't need cuts at G11 & G15. It's fair game to make caps as long as you need to reach the desired strips.

Here's a scoring gauge I just made up:
1 point for each cut.
1 point for each jumper.
1 point for each unused hole. A hole is considered used if it is cut, covered by a component or jumper or used for an external connection.
It's like golf: lower score is better, it can be very Zen and it goes well with alcohol (not too much though).

My score:
12+8+10 = 30
That includes the jumpers on the solder side that join adjacent strips.

so currently tayda only has this option for 10-pin:

assuming 4.5V coil would be fine for 9V, but probably not for 12V or more.

so to allow use of a larger 8-pin DPDT, i did this layout:
E26B5E33-8D3B-4E33-8ACD-4EF2F6AFA0C5.png

(intended for this style relay)
6A8A367D-2829-4985-8D18-2FD2C4A79BD5.jpeg

so how many demerit points do i lose for crossing jumpers? i know, it’s very naughty and brings shame on the family but i’m doing my best to keep it small 😅

any errors?

(i haven’t yet recalculated the correct/actual value to replace the 150R, but i will)

Last edited:
LCSC has suitable relays for cheap as chips and good shipping. If you're doing more than a couple relays, then having a vero may end up being a tedious, repetitive process for what is essentially a modular part. I just had 30 made with all the components on SMD except the relay for a buck a piece. With relay, it would have been ~$2.20 each (I just have an inventory of relays to use). That's not such a bad price if you build a lot of pedals.

Back