SOLVED All my LED's only work backwards

eliosvanpizza

Hello, I've built a Kliche Mini (success) Muffler Noise Gate (failure) and a Cobalt Drive (success).

for all three of those pedals, the LED only works when I reverse the leads- they work with the long lead through the circle and the short lead through the square.

I am following the wiring diagram exactly as written in the build information, but I noticed that my 9V jacks are kinda inverted from what is showed on the diagram. in the diagram the center lug of the jack is positioned higher than the left lug where the positive wire goes. On my jacks, the left lug is positioned higher and the center lug is lower.

Could this be why my LED's are backwards? These are the 9V input jacks I am using SKU# A-2237 on Tayda

Everything was covered in this thread four years ago. It's stickied and shows up as the third thread on the "General Questions" subforum.

Some of the older PCBs used the incorrect pattern that was mentioned earlier. They're updated/corrected as they're reordered.
Most have been updated at this point (even if the preview image doesn't reflect that), but there are still a few hanging around.

led-3mm-png.239

I was just joking because everything is upside down in the Southern Hemisphere. :)

This is how I remember LEDs:

View attachment 44459
I've mentioned this before on here. Not all LEDs are made with the same convention. For example I mainly use these from Tayda https://www.taydaelectronics.com/leds/round-leds/5mm-leds/led-5mm-red-water-clear-ultra-bright.html and they have a flat edge on the anode. I also have a Radio Shack diffuse LED assortment where all the cathodes are the long legs. Its all stupid easy to test on a DMM without resorting to trying to figure it out though physical characteristics.

I've mentioned this before on here. Not all LEDs are made with the same convention. For example I mainly use these from Tayda https://www.taydaelectronics.com/leds/round-leds/5mm-leds/led-5mm-red-water-clear-ultra-bright.html and they have a flat edge on the anode. I also have a Radio Shack diffuse LED assortment where all the cathodes are the long legs. Its all stupid easy to test on a DMM without resorting to trying to figure it out though physical characteristics.
Could not agree more.

I have a quick test rig with my peak, a small breadboard and some jumpers. It takes 2 seconds to confirm which lead is which. No stress. Super easy.

Could not agree more.

I have a quick test rig with my peak, a small breadboard and some jumpers. It takes 2 seconds to confirm which lead is which. No stress. Super easy.
If you are not aware about the peak, I have used a Peak DCA55 for around 8 years & wouldn't be without it.
I haven't changed the Battery yet!
If your really serious about doing it for a living, the Peak DCA75 woud be the Better option.

I’ve gone commando quite a few times. 😎
In all seriousness I think it looks good without a bezel as long as the drill hole for the led is smaller than the led so it’s not protruding. I don’t particularly like that look.

This convo is going to take a turn for the worse….🤣

Back