Anybody else think it's a bit disingenuous to sell Spin FV-1 pedals without mentioning that it's a DSP?

Analog reverb is nowhere near as much fun as digital reverb. ?

I think these days anything that isn't dirt should be assumed to be digital until proven otherwise. There isn't a whole lot of transparency in the pedal world, think how many "brand new innovative" designs there are that turn out to just be another 'Screamer or 'Muff....

The one time when I do think it's a little shady is when a product is clearly marketed as a reproduction of a particular vintage analog unit, but turns out to be digital. One builder in particular does this with a CE-1 "reproduction" ... :rolleyes:

Slight offshoot, but the whole "designed in" or "engineered in" gets thrown around, and it's kinda the same tactic. I've been lookin at amps and you gotta zoom in real close on pictures to see if it's made in China or vietnam. And I've been disappointed in some brands that I had admired.

To be fair, they did a Sweetwater live yesterday where Josh showed the schematics (as others have already pointed out, here or in a different thread), and he did mention that the delay, reverb and chorus were digital AND based on the FV-1.

He also mentioned all three share the exact same PCB, and that's part of the reason why they're able to sell at $99.

I care if it's coal fired! Although unfortunately where I live I don't get a choice. All my gear is coal fired unless I use a battery. But I wish it wasn't. Maybe I can pretend to myself that my guitar stuff only works off the solar panels we have on our roof. Yeah - that's it.

I only use solar powered pedals. And FWIW when my son was very little he could produce enormous anal logs. Of course when they become teenagers they get a lot more digital.

In this day and age, I assume most effects, besides overdrive/distortion, are digital. BBD chips are harder to get and pricey, plus the number of components in them is crazy. Digital for the most parts is cheaper, fewer parts that are more readily available. From a business standpoint digital is the way to go.

I care if it's coal fired! Although unfortunately where I live I don't get a choice. All my gear is coal fired unless I use a battery. But I wish it wasn't. Maybe I can pretend to myself that my guitar stuff only works off the solar panels we have on our roof. Yeah - that's it.

I only use solar powered pedals. And FWIW when my son was very little he could produce enormous anal logs. Of course when they become teenagers they get a lot more digital.
To the OPs point about them looking like Keeley pedals on the inside, it's a safe bet that Keeley designed them for JHS. From what I understand, he/his team have done several for Josh Co.

To the OPs point about them looking like Keeley pedals on the inside, it's a safe bet that Keeley designed them for JHS. From what I understand, he/his team have done several for Josh Co.
I think in this instance he mentioned they were designed by someone on his team named Josh. Not him, but another guy at JHS, rather than keeley.

I have a feeling that Cusack is doing the guts for these though.

My first question when I saw that was not analog or digital (I assumed some type of digital). Rather I wondered full on dsp like fv-1 or pt2399 chip for delay and chorus approximation and belton brick (which is made using pt2399s). Not surprised it’s FV-1 since it has modes. And it’s the easiest dsp platform for small companies to get started with.

The info would be informative up front as part of the marketing since most people find the belton brick and pt2399 chips have their own distinct flavor, not quite analog, but different than most dsp. In the end though, he seems pretty forthcoming about this series of pedals.

I think they're also probably being marketed to a player who specifically *doesn't* have those particular questions.

Back