Basic Workflow Tips for Building a PedalPCB

Holy crap... I forgot about this post. Reading the first page really make you realize how much you took for granted Isopropyl alcohol back before this apocalypse were going through xD

Superb post. Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed collection of information. There's a lot of great info here for guys like me rebooting the hobby. Gonna read this a few times through before getting the soldering iron out of mothballs. (y)

this is an awesome thread, really great info. is there any reason you promote using a step drill bit over standard jobbers, or even screw machine stubby bits?

this is an awesome thread, really great info. is there any reason you promote using a step drill bit over standard jobbers, or even screw machine stubby bits?
I can drill all the holes with one bit and not have to constantly change

It also makes a smoother edge and stays well aligned and if you drill a good pilot hole. I use two different size center punches to get it started.

i'll give it a shot. while i'm not technically a machinist, i do machinist type work for a living and have never used a step drill. i have noticed people seem to use them a lot of sheet metal and stuff. interesting!

I’m a newb. But recently tried drilling with standard bits and a file, then bought a set of step bits. Never will I try drilling an enclosure without them. There is hardly anything more satisfying than admiring a well drilled hole. Well, maybe having a pedal that works is a close second.

Reactions: spi
You might add how to properly tin stranded wire prior to soldering to board or components, seeing a lot of build post with strands flying everywhere

Good Idea! My workbench is disassembled and all in boxes though. Moving to a new state (Oregon). Might be awhile til I get to take a photo. But, I'll add it as a step in there somewhere!

This is a great post. Picked up a few tricks (like I never thought about aligning and soldering the pots on the front of the enclosure instead of inside--I'm definitely going to try this on my next build).

While reading this, it occurred to me I have never ever used flux (other than what's built into the solder), and I've not had issues. What am I missing out on by not using flux?

While reading this, it occurred to me I have never ever used flux (other than what's built into the solder), and I've not had issues. What am I missing out on by not using flux?
You're missing out on cleaning up an even bigger flux residue mess. 95% of the time, the solder provides enough flux for my soldering jobs. The two instances where I use flux are when I'm desoldering with solder braid and when I'm pre-tinning a part that is reluctant to accept solder, like a pot shell or the leads on an old part. NB, flux does not preclude proper surface preparation on those parts, it just aids it.

This is a great post. Picked up a few tricks (like I never thought about aligning and soldering the pots on the front of the enclosure instead of inside--I'm definitely going to try this on my next build).

If your soldering technique is solid and you are happy with the results you are getting then flux is not necessary. This tutorial was intended for absolute beginners so if one is not confident in their abilities or is not utilizing an ideal setup of tools or ingredients, then flux is simply added insurance to create a solid connection. I think of Flux like using primer before painting. It's not necessary, but generally looks better in the end. It allows the solder to flow or "wet" more freely. Also, I think adding cleanup after using it is equally important.

I'll edit the post to go into a bit more detail.

Back