Bass Klon

How noisy is the Duality?
I haven't noticed any problem with noise. I'll hook it up later and have a critical listen, though. I'll try it through headphones too.

I've been using it with a project that's been rehearsing regularly for a while now. Using a borrowed bass amp there that's pretty loud.

EDIT: @Chuck D. Bones - I just tried the Duality and listened for noise, and it didn't seem any noisier than the other pedals I tested it against. Which were various DIY dirt pedals from here and elsewhere. Tested with HBs and SCs. Some noise but not excessive.

The really high top end is not something I can hear, though. Middle aged ears, been around loud music most of my life. So faint squeals at the top of the human hearing range are inaudible to me.

Last edited:
Right, right, I wasn't so into that drive sound but the list of bass oriented pedals I've never built is getting pretty short so I'll get there eventually. I have high hopes for the duality, seems like a good idea in theory.

If we're talking bass (and bass-modded) pedals in general, there's my Aion Azure (CE-2 clone, with bass mod) build report, too. Sounds great on bass, and there's only one capacitor difference between the CE-2 and the CE-2B so it's the easiest mod ever.

I tried the "intensity mod" that I mentioned in the build report, too, but I prefer the original version so I went back to that.

Sting with his very public Tantra and lutes?
he willingly got in bed with Wendy O…..
Or are we talking about a different “doing weird things “;)

If we're talking bass (and bass-modded) pedals in general, there's my Aion Azure (CE-2 clone, with bass mod) build report, too. Sounds great on bass, and there's only one capacitor difference between the CE-2 and the CE-2B so it's the easiest mod ever.

I tried the "intensity mod" that I mentioned in the build report, too, but I prefer the original version so I went back to that.
I feel like doing something similar with either the mpb pork barrel or ppcb’s board, just the diff caps. Might socket 1 to enable swapping for tone range

Oh boy, didn't realize I was committing a deadly sin by asking :D

I went and search for posts from you and tantalum and I now understand that you use them because they don't leak and last longer.

Sorry for asking...
Chuck forgot to mention size. You can fit a Tantalum where an electrolytic simply won't fit — like a modded Rat circuit in a 1590A.

I’ve been playing upright a lot lately… just acoustic… how do you amplify yours?¿
I’ve been thinking about looking into pickups… I usually just mic it…
I used to use my EA Micro300 into a Wizzy 10. After I blew the speaker I continued to use the Micro300 with whatever backline the venue offered.
However, haven't done that in years. The last band I was in I just used whatever back line was available, often direct into the PA with my Radial PZed-Pre on a PT Metro with a few other noisemakers.

Then I paired my setup right down to an FDeck HPFIII, tuner and occasionally something fun. I gigged like that for nearly two years before covid hit. Haven't gigged since.

Found an Underwood pickup at a local shop when I first started gigging, haven't found fault with it yet. Been mic'd on a few gigs...

What sort of mic setup are you using? I've always wanted to try the Troll ribbon mic.

PS: Nearly forgot. For farting around with pedals at home I plug in through a Roland Micro-Bass I had picked up for a strolling minstrel type gig. DB is NOT an instrument meant for strolling with...

that’s a shot we need, les claypool’s upright internals

I've been meaning to try a krivo magnetic upright pickup. I've heard good things, especially when it comes to upright players who use pedals in loud bands.
Keep an eye out for a sale at Gollihur.

Here's the mag pup I'd like to try, Biesele:

bass6a.JPG

Oh yeah, with my Underwood, I only use the bass side pup, the treble side is tucked into foam — I still get plenty of click from slap.
Still, I'd like to one day experiment with a clicky, so I got a B-Band pickup ages ago. Still have yet to install it. Some day...

I’ve just mic’ed it up with a Soyuz bomblet or AEA r84a into a reddi into a preamp…
Never heard of the troll…
I have the coles 4038 but haven’t tried it on upright yet…
I'm not familiar enough with mics in general. DPA, sure but those others you mention I'll need to do homework.

Here's a thread on TB about the Troll:

mawctoztov9ivfnnp50k.jpg

Wind-foam, mic and a bunch of rubber-bands & zap-straps to fix it under the bridge — packed in a tube.

I see the guy who makes them now has a website, too.

I'm not familiar enough with mics in general. DPA, sure but those others you mention I'll need to do homework.

Here's a thread on TB about the Troll:

mawctoztov9ivfnnp50k.jpg

Wind-foam, mic and a bunch of rubber-bands & zap-straps to fix it under the bridge — packed in a tube.

I see the guy who makes them now has a website, too.
Yeah that looks crazy!!!
Not a bad price…

Hasn’t he been using just a Ned Steinberger upright for at least a decade or two?
he has at least 2, for the videos he uses a 3/4but on stage he uses something that looks like what the other 1st name in string instruments Les would have built in 194X with similar to the Biesele by the floor

he has at least 2, for the videos he uses a 3/4but on stage he uses something that looks like what the other 1st name in string instruments Les would have built in 194X with similar to the Biesele by the floor
Ah interesting! I’ll have to dive deeper. Ik that in the Flying Frog Brigade there was an NS and the Whamola off to the side of the stage, and that when I’ve seen him with both CLD and Primus he’s always had an NS with him (though I’ve only had the pleasure of hearing him play it in person once, when the CLD played Blood and Rockets)

YT findings, for Mr Krinkle there’s concert footage, usually with the pig mask using an EUB, but he’s also only guy i’ve seen that has a bass version of a resonator (uses in duo de twang sets) Peter Steele would hold a 1/2 like a P-bass, Lemmy is the only 1to get Ric signature model… we’re going sideways here but would be interesting to see what all these instruments would sound like through the modded klon.

Back