Bass Klon

They are my "go-to" Ge diodes, although many other Ge diodes, including the Ruskie D2x & D9x, will also work as hard clippers.

Last edited:
I was just thinking today that I love my bass fuzz but my bass overdrive is a disappointment. And I love my Kliché Mini on guitar, so I think you've just sold me on the bass version. Great work, Chuck.

What fuzz do you like on bass?

There's a PedalPCB version too, but I went with Aion on this one.

Since that one turned out so well, I tried the Overdrive. Which is OK, but not inspiring. Not bad, just not in the same league as the fuzz, for me.

Can't wait to build one as per your spec!

Upright is gonna get LOUD!

Excellent writing, very clear and succinct.

Thank you, sir!
I’ve been playing upright a lot lately… just acoustic… how do you amplify yours?¿
I’ve been thinking about looking into pickups… I usually just mic it…

Since that one turned out so well, I tried the Overdrive. Which is OK, but not inspiring. Not bad, just not in the same league as the fuzz, for me.
It seems like a cool and great sounding circuit, but I’ve always felt like most clean blend fuzz pedals are missing is gain on the clean blend. If the fuzz is set up to give a fairly significant boost, then the clean blend can get washed out even at full. Been thinking of building one of those, but altering the circuit so instead of a blend pot that pans between the clean signal and fuzz signal, it’s just a separate level control for the clean signal with up to 12db of gain.

The Bass Klon has over 20dB gain from 20Hz to almost 3KHz with GAIN at zero, TONE at noon and VOLUME dimed. That should be plenty of clean boost. You can split the GAIN control into two B100K pots, CLEAN and DIRTY, it you like.

Oh boy, didn't realize I was committing a deadly sin by asking :D

I went and search for posts from you and tantalum and I now understand that you use them because they don't leak and last longer.

Sorry for asking...
In addition, they are more transparent (less coloration that aluminum). Also lower loss for slightly higher charge pump efficiency. And they look good.

There is? I have the aion on my bench rn but would've kept it pedalpcb had I known.

The Bass Klon has over 20dB gain from 20Hz to almost 3KHz with GAIN at zero, TONE at noon and VOLUME dimed. That should be plenty of clean boost. You can split the GAIN control into two B100K pots, CLEAN and DIRTY, it you like.
Oooh. I may have to do that. Seems fun, and I need a good bass drive

Let's just hope it doesn't get THIS bootsy. Tragic stuff.
Screenshot_20220823-121824_Chrome.jpg

I used to know a dude who had an obscene collection of vintage basses/tube amps who had this on his pedal board. When deep pocket only applies how much you spent... no amount of switches and knobs on those alembics could compensate for how much he murdered his tone on the way to his amp. So it goes. Maybe he just didn't know how to use it but it always sounded awful to me.

Bootsy Baby!

If you haven't already, check out Tales from the Tourbus. Mike Judge (of Beavis & Butthead and King of the Hill fame) created a series of "documentaries" based on interviews, concert footage, police records,etc. Season 1 featured Country Music stars. Season 2 was all about Funk. There is an entire episode dedicated to Bootsy Collins.

Back