SOLVED BC108 Fuzz Face Issues

Fontelroy

I'm getting a super awful ticking sound when I have the bias set at a normal level
I've had this happen with 2 BC108 fuzzes now and I felt like I had to ask y'all for some help here...
When I set the bias by ear to get the ticking to go away it's quite low and causes that starved spitting sound which isn't my thing. Is this something related to the specific BC108b's I'm using?
IMG_5222.jpg

well i reflowed some solder joints and the ticking is back... probably shoulda left it alone with the radio stuff lol :LOL:
Clean your board, check the solder joints and reflow them again. Use heat sinks on the transistor legs. In the future maybe use sockets.

To "kill the radio star" you can put a small capacitor from input to ground, usually anything between 1n and 100n will work, cutting more and more high end as you go up in values. Play around.

I've actually since switched q1 to a 2n3906 and it fixed everything! I had someone mention that bc108b can be too much gain and after testing out some different transistors in q1 I think I agree!

Clean your board, check the solder joints and reflow them again. Use heat sinks on the transistor legs. In the future maybe use sockets.

To "kill the radio star" you can put a small capacitor from input to ground, usually anything between 1n and 100n will work, cutting more and more high end as you go up in values. Play around.

On an Si FF the tradition is a very small value (I like less than 100p) from C to B at Q2. The higher the value, the more high end you’ll lose. Of course, at the same time, you want to make sure that you have a high enough value to stop/diminish the noise…

Back