DEMO Bit Minnow, Captain of the Dark Rift (or, whateva)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

This one's fairly straight forward. Captain Bit > Minnow > Dark Rift, all with a few mods.

The Captain bit has been modded with a 2KB pot between the C2 and Pin 1 of the 386. I've also hacked in one of the Tone Control boards between C5 and Pin 6 of the Transformer, built to modified Foxx tone specs. This Ranges from a great tracking up octave, to insanely trebly and nasty. I chose to go with something that would drop a few decibels, as it was a little too easy to oversaturate the octave up portion

The only mod to the Minnow has been to move the trimpots to the face of the enclosure. A lot of awesome sounds to had with these as external controls

Mods to the Dark Rift include
  1. Shape Pot is now 500kA
  2. R13 & R18 are now 47k to kill a bit more of the dry signal and boost overall output a tad
  3. R8 is 15k, though I may reduce this further as it's currently not capable of self oscillation
  4. R22 & R31 have been decreased to 10k
  5. I've inserted a zener diode between Pin 2 of of the regulator and ground, to bump the voltage up to around 6 which enables slightly lower minimum delay times (I'll swap his out for an actual 6v regulator once I get them in)
  6. R26 is now on a DPDT toggle that changes between a 47k and a Parasit Modboard, which modulates the speed and is capable of giving stutters, flutters, and some pseudo arpeggiation. It's most noticeable the further toward the square side of the shape pot you go.
I'll try to get a video of this and the other multis I've recently completed up sometime this week after they're all labelled.
142466936_4375289045831562_7088651150606185618_n.jpg 142835926_4375289155831551_4231258998764721808_n.jpg

Last edited:
Cool signal chain and extraordinary enclosure!

Thanks for telling us about your modifications- #6 reads like a huge ton of fun.

This one's fairly straight forward. Captain Bit > Minnow > Dark Rift, all with a few mods.

The Captain bit has been modded with a 2KB pot between the C2 and Pin 1 of the 386. I've also hacked in one of the Tone Control boards between C5 and Pin 6 of the Transformer, built to modified Foxx tone specs. This Ranges from a great tracking up octave, to insanely trebly and nasty. I chose to go with something that would drop a few decibels, as it was a little too easy to oversaturate the octave up portion

The only mod to the Minnow has been to move the trimpots to the face of the enclosure. A lot of awesome sounds to had with these as external controls

Mods to the Dark Rift include
  1. Shape Pot is now 500kA
  2. C13 & C18 are now 47k to kill a bit more of the dry signal and boost overall output a tad
  3. R8 is 15k, though I may reduce this further as it's currently not capable of self oscillation
  4. R22 & R31 have been decreased to 10k
  5. I've inserted a zener diode between Pin 2 of of the regulator and ground, to bump the voltage up to around 6 which enables slightly lower minimum delay times (I'll swap his out for an actual 6v regulator once I get them in)
  6. R26 is now on a DPDT toggle that changes between a 47k and a Parasit Modboard, which modulates the speed and is capable of giving stutters, flutters, and some pseudo arpeggiation. It's most noticeable the further toward the square side of the shape pot you go.
I'll try to get a video of this and the other multis I've recently completed up sometime this week after they're all labelled.
View attachment 9366View attachment 9367
That's what I was going to guess next!:sneaky:

Last edited:
Beautiful build! Nice work on the enclosure. And the knobs... so many knobs...
Mod 2: You mean R13 & R18, right? It's possible to wire the MIX control to go from 100% dry to 100% wet.
Mod 4: R31 doesn't do anything, so changing it won't have any effect.
Mod 6: That is Wild & Crazy! I wish I had thought of something like that. It's capable of stopping the Dark Rift's LFO or making it run 100MPH.

Beautiful build! Nice work on the enclosure. And the knobs... so many knobs...
Mod 2: You mean R13 & R18, right? It's possible to wire the MIX control to go from 100% dry to 100% wet.
Mod 4: R31 doesn't do anything, so changing it won't have any effect.
Mod 6: That is Wild & Crazy! I wish I had thought of something like that. It's capable of stopping the Dark Rift's LFO or making it run 100MPH.
Mod 2: Yep, meant R13 /R18, edited. With this type of effect, I generally don't care too much about getting to 100% clean. I'm using it primarily as a chorus, so 50% clean is plenty for me
Mod 4: I think I was thinking I'd get just a little more depth / intensity out of the LFO.
Mod 6: It's a lot of fun, I'm gonna play with the idea more on a Sea Horse board

Back