DEMO Blue Sheep (a szukalski board) - Demo added

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So @szukalski has been going to town lately with doing his own PCB layouts. He sent me the Gerber files for his "Blue Sheep" board and I placed an order with JLCPCB.

I also goofed the order.....those faceplates were supposed to be white....I guess I missed a checkbox hahaha.......
IMG_4623.JPG

Also check out these breakout boards he made JUST for me heh.....awesome stuff!
IMG_4644.JPG

Anyway, just buttoned it up this afternoon. It's a modified Blues Driver of sorts with opamp gain stages.
Sounds pretty cool, I'll work on getting a demo up of it.

I embraced the green, and went with the Mint colored enclosure with the faceplate.
IMG_4649.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG

Thanks @szukalski, bring it on man! Let's see some more Gerber files....... :ROFLMAO:

I'd double check the tracing, but nothing says you SHOULD have to put qa switch in a particular way... wouldn't it end up just mirrored and a little twist on the wires?

Demo of the Blue Sheep.

After chatting with @szukalski he said this wasn't really designed to be a standalone overdrive but rather to push a gainy amp.

So again, like the Diplomat demo, I'm starting off with a clean amp to show what the pedal alone sounds like. It's got some cool settings and sounds in it, but also a few less than flattering sounds as well. Doesn't sound too much like a Blues Driver.

But then I'm switching to a crunchy amp setting and this pedal is the BALLS! Love what it does pushing an amp.

First appearance of my new P90 Goldtop with the Wolftone Mean and Meaner P90 set. Sounds freaking awesome!

Nice demo, though you are hitting your levels and getting a bit of digital distortion in the crunchy half.

(Repeating what I mentioned in DM for others who may visit). The Blue Sheep is one which needs to be used in the right ways. It is two levels of opamps without any transistors or diode clipping, so you are using opamp clipping which can be a bit harsh for my ears when on it's own.

The original has a dual pot for the pre (boost) and gain stages, but I found it more versatile to split them. You can fine tune the boost hitting the gain stage and get some more useful tones, but at the end of the day it pairs better with something breaking up, preferably not op-amp based (tubes or JFETS are good choices). Get a tube amp breaking up and this can push it over without adding too much colouration.

It may not be a pedal which always stays on your board, but it can be a useful tone shaper.

Nice demo, though you are hitting your levels and getting a bit of digital distortion in the crunchy half.

(Repeating what I mentioned in DM for others who may visit). The Blue Sheep is one which needs to be used in the right ways. It is two levels of opamps without any transistors or diode clipping, so you are using opamp clipping which can be a bit harsh for my ears when on it's own.

The original has a dual pot for the pre (boost) and gain stages, but I found it more versatile to split them. You can fine tune the boost hitting the gain stage and get some more useful tones, but at the end of the day it pairs better with something breaking up, preferably not op-amp based (tubes or JFETS are good choices). Get a tube amp breaking up and this can push it over without adding too much colouration.

It may not be a pedal which always stays on your board, but it can be a useful tone shaper.
I think splitting the pre-gain out is brilliant. Lots more tonal options even using it to goose the amp. I was showing a little bit of that in the demo. Great job Dave!!

Didn't we just have a thread about not throwing shade (of green) on other members? What are you guys doing?!

This is pretty dope. I hope I'll be able to design my own breakout boards in 10 years or so.

Nice job everyone!

Back