Boost pedal i built. Finding best Potentiometer rating! HELP!

nznat

I have a boost pedal, its going great, but the boost dial / pot, almost all the effewct comes on in the last 5 %, from about 7-10 is where everything happens, nothing before that. Ive tried A100K and A500K, and seems to be about the same. Would it be more than just the pot?

Suggestions please.

Usually a higher pot resistance or taper type would fix that. So it makes me wonder if there is a mistake somewhere else. Got a schematic and pictures?

Glad to hear it's going great. The gold finish really pops on it! The context is really important for what potentiometer is needed for a circuit. If you are only getting action in the last few bits of the pot then you may want a C taper pot, where the halfway point on the pot is 85-90% through the pots resistance vs A taper where its 10-15%. As for what resistance value you'll want, that will depend greatly on the circuit, but if you have 100k in there before maybe start with 100kC? If you post a schematic we can give you more specific advice.

Glad to hear it's going great. The gold finish really pops on it! The context is really important for what potentiometer is needed for a circuit. If you are only getting action in the last few bits of the pot then you may want a C taper pot, where the halfway point on the pot is 85-90% through the pots resistance vs A taper where its 10-15%. As for what resistance value you'll want, that will depend greatly on the circuit, but if you have 100k in there before maybe start with 100kC? If you post a schematic we can give you more specific advice.
yeah i tried the C pot just before i saw your message. Now i have full dial sweep effect. perfect! Stock should have been A500K, yet a lot of pedals have terrible tapers on their released pedals, not well thought out at all. I went from A500K to C50K and its simply spectacular now. thanks for everyone tuning in. this is a good pedal site

I have a boost pedal, its going great, but the boost dial / pot, almost all the effewct comes on in the last 5 %, from about 7-10 is where everything happens, nothing before that. Ive tried A100K and A500K, and seems to be about the same. Would it be more than just the pot?

Suggestions please.
Put different resistors in parallel to see which works best, and then go with that value pot. A parallel calculator works best for this.

Back