Chroma-April 2nd challenge

Guardians of the analog

1000010902.jpg
This build reports is inspired by @Paradox916 and his challenge to challenge yourself. I'm challenged already so what's wrong with a little more🤷. This is the Aion chroma, based on the Boss Spectrum which fits the autism awareness challenge perfectly.

The spectrum is a single band parametric EQ pedal. One of the first 3 pedals in the compact boss pedals line released in the late 70s this pedal is unique in that it can only boost the band selected and not cut like modern EQ pedals. The spectrum knob sweeps the band to be boosted, the balance knob is a mix knob between the wet and dry signals and the volume knob was added because the original didn't have one and could get out of hand depending on the frequency boosted. This can add a lot of sounds to a drive pedal or amp and I like to use it like a fixed wah.

For the challenge, I have never deconstructed a potentiometer to make a custom dual gang pot with different tapers on each gang. In the challenge thread I'll upload how that went.

The build other than the pot was pretty basic. Low parts count and simple assembly. Matte white tayda enclosure and UV printing. I went with photon aka spectrum for a spectrum pedal and I really love how this one turned out. I recommend the pedal as it has lots of cool sounds but with the caveat that you are comfortable making the custom pot. It was worth it for the sake of the challenge, and again look forward to seeing the other entries, thanks again to Rob for the motivation and cause behind it.
0SpFp8R.jpg
ThdGlOu.jpeg
Uustpfg.jpeg

Last edited:
This is incredible! I love your work it looks like it was done by a machine! So clean! I didnt even know you can make your own dual gang pots!
If you don't make a mess with flux in the first place it's easy to do. It took a few different types of solder but I found what works for me.
Dang! That looks like a computer rendering from KiCad. Top shelf, brother.
It's always a good day when one of your mentors compliments you. Thanks John!
Phenomenal build man!

This right here 👆
Thanks for the push and inspiration dude!
To the untrained eye, One would say is there any Solder on that there Footswitch!!!:D
I'll make sure the next one will be so flooded they can see it from the International Space Station 🤣🤣🤣
It's the custom dual pot for me. That shit is ace
Isn't that what diy is about? I don't wanna do it cause it's always easy🤣

Possibly your best effort to date.

Constantly raising the bar.

Also made me realise I still don't have a 3403 for mine, but I've got the bits to fab up that dual-gang.

Back