Circulator build/ setting mysteries

Erik S

I’ve been working on a bunch of enclosures and boards at the same time, and this is the fun part where they all start turning into pedals at the same time. This is the third one I’ve assembled in three days, and I feel like I’m hitting a stride with my wiring workflow.

This one made cool sounds as soon as I plugged it in, but the settings were not easy to figure out. First, the range switch is three position which I assumed was going to give three ranges. In right position the rate knob covers faster speeds, and slower speeds in left position, but in middle position there is no modulation movement and the rate knob does nothing. I read through @MichaelW ’s build report and found the explanation that the middle position is an LFO kill for manual phasing. Makes sense I guess from an on-off-on toggle. Off is off. Working the sweep knob in that position is like manual phasing, and wherever you leave it gives a paused phase effect.

Second mystery was the phase/vibrato toggle. In my first attempts I was either getting phase in both positions, or killing the signal in vibrato mode. The secret recipe on that one seems to be depth all the way down, which does yield vibrato, and resonance all the way up. It does vibrato as long as depth is at zero, but without the resonance maxed there’s a volume drop. Maxing it brings it back to unity.

So far I like it! Having the resonance and depth controls gives you options for subtle phase effects that I think I’m more likely to use vs the full on sound of my phase 90 clone.

Attachments

• 6185E115-A8A2-4786-BB0C-B54EDB1231E7.jpeg
    6185E115-A8A2-4786-BB0C-B54EDB1231E7.jpeg
    786.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 7C15BA79-0ED1-424F-B6E4-BDAE60FF0BBF.jpeg
    7C15BA79-0ED1-424F-B6E4-BDAE60FF0BBF.jpeg
    544.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 8DDD37F3-231A-4373-8536-EF300193CB1F.jpeg
    8DDD37F3-231A-4373-8536-EF300193CB1F.jpeg
    563.1 KB · Views: 36
I’ve been working on a bunch of enclosures and boards at the same time, and this is the fun part where they all start turning into pedals at the same time. This is the third one I’ve assembled in three days, and I feel like I’m hitting a stride with my wiring workflow.

This one made cool sounds as soon as I plugged it in, but the settings were not easy to figure out. First, the range switch is three position which I assumed was going to give three ranges. In right position the rate knob covers faster speeds, and slower speeds in left position, but in middle position there is no modulation movement and the rate knob does nothing. I read through @MichaelW ’s build report and found the explanation that the middle position is an LFO kill for manual phasing. Makes sense I guess from an on-off-on toggle. Off is off. Working the sweep knob in that position is like manual phasing, and wherever you leave it gives a paused phase effect.

Second mystery was the phase/vibrato toggle. In my first attempts I was either getting phase in both positions, or killing the signal in vibrato mode. The secret recipe on that one seems to be depth all the way down, which does yield vibrato, and resonance all the way up. It does vibrato as long as depth is at zero, but without the resonance maxed there’s a volume drop. Maxing it brings it back to unity.

So far I like it! Having the resonance and depth controls gives you options for subtle phase effects that I think I’m more likely to use vs the full on sound of my phase 90 clone.
Just updating this for posterity - I realized today that I mislabeled my depth and resonance knobs. Ooops. So if you’re trying to figure out the vibrato setting, adjust accordingly. Resonance all the way down, not depth.

Back