SOLVED Cobalt troubleshoot

Redspacecadet74

Hi, I’m hoping for some help with the Cobalt pedal I just built.

I plugged the pedal in and whilst there was some sound with the pedal switched on it was kind of muted and a bit fizzy. I checked the circuit and realised I had used a TL072 IC in place of the TL071 specified in the build instructions.

I assume this explains the sound issues, but I was hoping someone with more knowledge of circuit design could confirm this before I replace the IC with the correct one?

Attachments

• 2AE28DC3-ADCC-4C68-BAF2-49E729B201DE.jpeg
    2AE28DC3-ADCC-4C68-BAF2-49E729B201DE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: fig
As was stated above they are not interchangeable this is because they have a different pin out. Typically you can swap op amps for the same type. A dual op amp like the tl072 can be swapped for say a 4558 because they are both duals the ground is pin 4 the +v in is pin 8 the outputs are pins 1 and 7. Your inputs are 2/3/5/6 2 and 6 being inverting. Where as the tl071 7 is your +v instead of 8 so it was trying to send +v to the one of the tl072s outputs. Pin 6 is the output so it was expecting to see output from an inverting input. This is why it won’t work.

As was stated above they are not interchangeable this is because they have a different pin out. Typically you can swap op amps for the same type. A dual op amp like the tl072 can be swapped for say a 4558 because they are both duals the ground is pin 4 the +v in is pin 8 the outputs are pins 1 and 7. Your inputs are 2/3/5/6 2 and 6 being inverting. Where as the tl071 7 is your +v instead of 8 so it was trying to send +v to the one of the tl072s outputs. Pin 6 is the output so it was expecting to see output from an inverting input. This is why it won’t work.
Thanks. I could have sworn I ordered the right one. Never mind, the correct part is on its way!

So, I swapped the chip for the correct TL071 and guess what, it works fine. Not that impressed with how it sounds through my Yamaha TR10 practice amp, but I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve tried it through my valve amp.

Cheers for all the help.

Back