DEMO Demo by jjjimi84 aka DK pedals! Mhmm! I'm Mr. Frundles!

This post contains an audio or video demo
Incredible!

How many layout options did you go through during the design process? I can’t speak for others, but I’d love a detailed write up of the development of this.
Not many to be honest and I winged it. The enclosure informed a lot of the layout as well as the order.

In an earlier post I noted the inspiration for Mr. Frundles Fuzz was the Beavis Audio Fuzz Lab. This informed the order of the boost and the octave.
1. The boost comes first in order to have a pre-drive for all the fuzzes.
2. The octave comes second, it would not be as effective if it was after the fuzzes.

Each fuzz needed it's own buff n' blend. Technically I could have used one and split the send and return loop seven ways. THe problem there is that the volumes of each interact with one another adversely. Each fuzz having its own Buff N' Blend created that separation. As cool as it would be to use footswitches for each, no way would it be feasible for anybody but a ballerina to use so I used mini toggles. it made for cleaner drilling since I didn't have to drill 1/2" holes for each.

The EQ came after pondering the project some more. It became a necessity because it could really reign in the wildness of a bunch of fuzzes going all out.

In terms of layout, I populated the boards and arranged them in various ways in the enclosure. Ultimately I did not settle on any particular order and just layed them out in a way that made the whole thing look the most aesthetically pleasing and somewhat symmetrical.

now I know why the ass fell out of the temp last 2 days... good work Dan and Paul, worth making hell freeze over!
The weather had been nasty in MD for weeks. No rain for three weeks had turned everything brown. The smoke from the Quebec wildfires also made the entire day seem like late afternoon. The tiny bit of rain we got was very welcome.

for Dan and I was like 85~90 Saturday, yesterday was like maybe 55 and today barely cracked 70 at 2pm... hard swings like that cause more health issues from the stress.

Dude this is so epic. If you’re like me, you had all the intentions to do super neat and tidy inside wiring and all that on your monster multi pedal build and then you started and were like holy Jesus let’s just make it work and never open this shit ever again.

Dude this is so epic. If you’re like me, you had all the intentions to do super neat and tidy inside wiring and all that on your monster multi pedal build and then you started and were like holy Jesus let’s just make it work and never open this shit ever again.
Insult my pedal without actually insulting my pedal! :ROFLMAO:

It is impossible to keep it neat when you cram ten pcbs with seven 3pdt daughter boards. That said, it's actually not as bad as it looks to work on.

Insult my pedal without actually insulting my pedal! :ROFLMAO:

It is impossible to keep it neat when you cram ten pcbs with seven 3pdt daughter boards. That said, it's actually not as bad as it looks to work on.
Oh man I wouldn’t dream of insulting l! Sorry if it came off that way. I did the same thing with a build like this and I tried so hard but it was just too much work. Yours is much neater than mine. I did some jacked power and ground distribution board that just free hangs in there lol.

My father in law used to be a lineman and he said hey super cool but that looks like shit hahah

Oh man I wouldn’t dream of insulting l! Sorry if it came off that way. I did the same thing with a build like this and I tried so hard but it was just too much work. Yours is much neater than mine. I did some jacked power and ground distribution board that just free hangs in there lol.

My father in law used to be a lineman and he said hey super cool but that looks like shit hahah
I was totally razzin' ya (hence the emoji)! No offense taken!

I try to keep my builds clean and I could very, very anal retentive about it. That said, I build these things for the fun of it and try to throw weird things together to see what sticks. Making neat and clean builds is not the point.

Also, I'm at the point where 95% of PCBs I wire will fire up on the first go. This did not happen with this build. In fact I pulled two fuzzes because I could not determine what went wrong and the whole soldering/desoldering/wire fatigue etc. gets frustrating and popping things in and out and getting them to work leads to apathy about looks.

I was totally razzin' ya (hence the emoji)! No offense taken!

I try to keep my builds clean and I could very, very anal retentive about it. That said, I build these things for the fun of it and try to throw weird things together to see what sticks. Making neat and clean builds is not the point.

Also, I'm at the point where 95% of PCBs I wire will fire up on the first go. This did not happen with this build. In fact I pulled two fuzzes because I could not determine what went wrong and the whole soldering/desoldering/wire fatigue etc. gets frustrating and popping things in and out and getting them to work leads to apathy about looks.
Oh man I’ve been there with some builds the troubleshooting just gets tiring and you lower your standards a bit haha. This forum is so great though. Really haven’t built anything in almost a year but all these cool builds have me wanting to start up again.

I don'no you guys, Mr. Frundles looks pretty good to me.. :ROFLMAO:

h14eABd.jpg

Back