DIY Stereo Loop Box

joelorigo

A few weeks ago I asked for help building a DIY stereo AB box. Thank you for all the replies. But I was just about to order some parts when I changed my mind and re-thought my needs. Now something like below is what I want to build! An bi color led or 2 LEDs would also be nice. I searched and found less information on building this than I did the original thing I was looking at.

I've been looking at the same thing. Need to use a 4PDT switch, just not sure on the wiring.

Check out this site, I used their diagrams to create my looper.

Thank you. Was your looper stereo? It starts to get a bit vague to me on how to proceed with that.

"If you were to find a 5PDT switch, you could wire a stereo/stereo loop (which, to make itself useful at all, would be placed dead last, after a mono/stereo loop). In that case, simply treat them as two separate loops, with the LED portion in between them on the switch (to help keep them separate)."
This lead me to some new searching and I found this thread that is unresolved:

And some other s talking about using a DPDT switch to control DPDT relays:

"use a dpdt switch, controlling two dpdt relays"

It was not in stereo. Looks like you could use a 4PDT and a millennium circuit for the LED
Are you referring to the diagram in the DIYstompboxes thread I provided?

Attachments

• 962a5a4e-e222-4758-92ea-e8e7cf432448 copy.jpg
    962a5a4e-e222-4758-92ea-e8e7cf432448 copy.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 14
This part from that article about the stereo/stereo?
"For a stereo send/stereo return loop, you'd need a 5PDT - something I've never even seen. You can save one pole if you use the Millenium wiring for the LED, but with the regular wiring style, you need switches that big."

Is "save one pole" meaning another row of lugs? So a 4PDT?

Yes. He says you would need 5 rows of lugs to do this in stereo, or use the row of lugs meant to be for the LED as the row of lugs to do the stereo side. The millennium wiring is using a transistor circuit to activate the LED instead of the actual switch

Ok I'll try to wrap my head around Millennium Bypass :)

As far as the 4PDT wiring, is the diagram that I took from the DIYstompboxes thread correct? Here it is again

Attachments

• 962a5a4e-e222-4758-92ea-e8e7cf432448 copy.jpg
    962a5a4e-e222-4758-92ea-e8e7cf432448 copy.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 11
In the diagram you show, in normal position your signal comes IN and straight OUT with the SEND grounded.

Push the button and now your IN signal goes to the SEND (through the loop) and back to the RETURN then OUT.

There is no LED shown in your diagram.

In the diagram you show, in normal position your signal comes IN and straight OUT with the SEND grounded.

Push the button and now your IN signal goes to the SEND (through the loop) and back to the RETURN then OUT.

You can only do so much with one switch, I reckon.

You know a month or so ago I was thinking DIY. So I started looking around and did some research, then I had a tasty beverage. Then another. And a few tasty beverages later I woke up the next day to see I had ordered this:

public.jpeg

Great! So if one wanted to forgo the LED, this seems correct for a passive version of a 1 channel stereo loop box?

You know a month or so ago I was thinking DIY. So I started looking around and did some research, then I had a tasty beverage. Then another. And a few tasty beverages later I woke up the next day to see I had ordered this:

public.jpeg
A similar thing happened to me yesterday while I was searching things like "stereo loop box." I came across a company called Satrunworks that makes a box like the one in my OP. And it was cheaper and they were having a Memorial Day sale so I felt like I should buy it. Then I saw that they have one that includes latching and momentary footswitches, so I bought that one. I'm curious to see what is inside the one I ordered

Anyway I still think I will DIY one, with or without a LED.

Back