Fancy Solder Sucker

I had one of the "knock-offs" and while it worked just as good while it lasted, it didn't last as long as my Engineer SS-02.

Mine was the "FrogBro", not the Vampire, but I suspect they're about the same.

The Engineer is actually cheaper than the Vampire right now.

Regardless, these are far better than the old blue Soldapullt solder suckers.
Ditto this is the one you want!

I used a Soldapullt for many years. And picked up an Engineer this year. Still like the Soldapullt better. Much larger which gives more pull.

Last edited:
The instructions of the engineer say to never open/disassembled it. I read that after I disassembled it trying to clean it out.

Luckily it seems to work fine despite the warning. Just FYI.
Sometimes you have to open them to unclog it. Not much to them.

I’ve plugged various Engineer pliers in several threads, and gotta do it again. Next time you wear out a pair of pliers, or maybe you decide its a style you use a lot and would like a bigger or smaller version— check out what Engineer makes, get over the cost, and treat yourself. Vampire is from the same factory/engineering team.

I've been using the AdaFruit Engineer and it's superb. Total game changer from all the suckers I've wasted money on.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday doing the same thing, salvaged everything from a Guitar mania PCB, even sockets, using my Engineer solder pump

For those of you who use an Engineer or similar - how often do you really need to replace the little silicone tubing tip?

And have you found a good source for heat-resistant replacement tubing? I assume no one is actually spending $10 on three little snips from Engineer...

Right on, thanks! How often do you replace it?

You almost never need to replace it until it gets all chewed up. It's heat resistant so it withstands a lot of use.

I often take it off and clean it out with a toothpick when solder gets stuck in the silicone tube. And then I pop it right back on and keep using the same piece.

The extra 6" that comes with the engineer could potentially last you years.

I was wondering about this - the (identical?) Vampire model comes with a little extra piece, but the Engineer listing doesn't specify that... The extra tubing is a standard thing for the Engineer, ya think? This is where I'm looking, no mention of it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MJMXD4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A235XUT8R6E0JM

Followed your link. It's the same one I bought. But it's significantly cheaper now! I'd go for it.

1703732900474.png

I just measured the bonus tube. In my mind, it was 6", but when I measured it, it was actually 2".
I had that same issue with my penis once.

1703733102907.png

We should do a group buy on the 16 foot hose that Barry linked to. We can pass around chunks in the next PIF box.

Back