Fiddly screwdriver question?

drgonzo1969

What kind of tiny fiddly screwdrivers do you guys use. I need to replace mine. They are too skinny for my sausage fingers to use. So I’m looking for something with more girth for ease of grasp. I’m pretty sure I bought these at a Walgreens or something 10 years ago

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 9
I have tons of tiny screwdrivers but the set I reach for most often is the iFixIt set. It has almost any bit you could possibly want in a precision screwdriver.

This one is similar to mine:

I got this one from I think b&m (cheap store here in the U.K.).

Rolson 28290 31 pc Precision Screwdriver Set
https://amzn.eu/d/gT7ldHs

Works very good but the bit holder is not ideal as they will all fall out loose if you turn the box upside down. I kept the little bit of molded plastic packaging that was over the top of the bits to hold them in place when in the package, that more-or-less keeps them in their spots.

Have a ton.
Only buy Wera and Wiha now. They're a joy to work with and amazing craftsmanship. If you take care of them, they'll last a lifetime.
Wera kraftform are great. A little spendy but worth it.

I can vouch for the stainless and vde sets as well.
For pedals, you can get by mostly with a sharp PH1 and a couple of slotted.

Here's your set screw driver, sub $5

I'm (luckily) at the point in life where I buy once cry once. If you take care of your stuff, it works out better.
I still abuse my hobo freight and crapsman tools. That's what they're for.

While I have several mini screwdriver “kits” that include many weird small bits, for the most used sizes, I have maybe 8 - 10 small Wiha (and very similar AT&G) drivers. Most are at least 30 years old; all still going strong. Hand tools, like screwdrivers and pliers, can make working on projects a chore, or a delight. When you get to the really tiny bits, like 000 Philips, or .5mm flat, the precision of the tip matching becomes a lot more important. IMG_1077.jpeg

I get the cheap Harbor Freight ones with the molded handles. I'll get some higher quality ones as soon as I develop non-abusive habits with them.
Back when the Whole Earth Catalogs were first coming out, I remember a story about a commune (where else?) that had a ritual that involved passing around an old, battered slotted screw driver. Everyone repeated all its uses—prying open stuck paint cans, getting under the heads of nails, using it as a dull chisel, with a hammer to bang on the end, etc. Then, nice screwdrivers were passed around. These had only one purpose, tightening and untightening screws. I still remember this, because as someone that ran shops for over 50 years (and the first 10 were in shops that were often partially staffed with volunteers) I found myself always showing people what tools had been sacrificed so that the others could lead happy useful lives. Just say "No" to tool abuse—but keep a few abused tools around, for when you need something and can't find the correct tool. I can remember banning a student from a shop class (which he needed credits in) after I caught him using a machinist's square as a hammer. (It wasn't his first abuse of the rules; this was actually not a rule anyway. Why would I ever assume anyone would pick up a machinist's square and use it to start banging on something?)

Back when the Whole Earth Catalogs were first coming out, I remember a story about a commune (where else?) that had a ritual that involved passing around an old, battered slotted screw driver. Everyone repeated all its uses—prying open stuck paint cans, getting under the heads of nails, using it as a dull chisel, with a hammer to bang on the end, etc. Then, nice screwdrivers were passed around. These had only one purpose, tightening and untightening screws. I still remember this, because as someone that ran shops for over 50 years (and the first 10 were in shops that were often partially staffed with volunteers) I found myself always showing people what tools had been sacrificed so that the others could lead happy useful lives. Just say "No" to tool abuse—but keep a few abused tools around, for when you need something and can't find the correct tool. I can remember banning a student from a shop class (which he needed credits in) after I caught him using a machinist's square as a hammer. (It wasn't his first abuse of the rules; this was actually not a rule anyway. Why would I ever assume anyone would pick up a machinist's square and use it to start banging on something?)
Practice classism in your tools. I have a Stanley flathead strictly relegated to paint/stain can opening and stirring. The multiple large crapsman pryer flatheads over the years, with and without tip intact.
Don't get me started on my chisels.
In turn, I have titanium screwdrivers that I only use(for work) if absolutely needed. Dropping $5-15 on a quality made screwdriver pales in price to a decent at best titanium screwdriver.

The biggest issue with nice hand tools is managing the expectation that others will respect them. They won't.
But I do recommend buying quality tools that are frequently used. Snap On is cool, but your can get Wera, Wiha and Felo for less.
I have a whia mini bit driver(socket wrench for bits) that has 72 teeth!
It's 3 inches long with double the teeth than on most box store socket wrenches.
It cost around 30 bones for the kit, but it's never let me down, the bits are top notch, small *metal* case, and it is smooth as butter. It's a precision tool that is also strong.
Buddy has a similar kobalt and it's a pain to use. Bits fall out, teeth jump. It works. And he probably saved $10 vs mine. His takes twice the space in a plastic case. It's a disposable tool.
Buy once cry once.

Back