First pedal build. Noob questions about about pots and LED

naildriver

I want to build a pedal with the OctaMayer PCB. Is this an ok first pedal? I want to practice soldering before I mess with my guitar.

About the LED: 1. What do I buy? 2. how does it fit? The wiring diagram makes it look like it should be closer to the input/output jacks but the drill template puts it more toward the center. I imagine it would make sense once I have it in my hands but those pictures confuse me (PDF attached)

About the pots: What type of connection(don't know the proper term) would be easiest. "solder lug" "PCB mount" etc
A-5420_1.jpg A-2425.jpg A-5414.jpg
Thank You

Attachments

• OctaMayer.pdf
    421.4 KB · Views: 8
Welcome!

I would say OctaMayer is as good as any to get started. The best first pedal is the pedal you're excited to play (within reason, of course).

LED is pretty well up to you, but most people buy 5mm LEDs, and if you like to be blinded by absurdly bright then the "ultra bright water clear" LEDs are popular. Page 4 of the build doc shows where the LED goes on the build and shows the orientation of it as well.

PCB mount pots are going to be the easiest way to go by far. They will solder directly to the PCB (as the name implies) and will also help mechanically hold the board in place in the enclosure.

You got this!

Octamayer was one of my first and is awesome. Do some research on this forum and you may benefit regarding parts and selection.

Also you can test the current limiting resistor with the led and a 9v battery till you find the right resistance so they don't blind you. I use a lot of the ultra bright water clear ones from Tayda and just always test it first and install whatever value works best for me. The indicator LED is entirely based on aesthetic.

Speaking of pots, make sure you install them correctly. They go on the back side of the PCB (the side with no components) and extend upwards.

This is a different PCB but the idea is the same.
16mmPotentiometerInstallation.jpg

16mmPotentiometerInstallation-Side.jpg

Back