General Tso’s Compressor (ThorpyFX Fat General)

Joben Magooch

I got a little over-zealous with my glue gun, I know…

Fun pedal! I used waterclear green LEDs and these LDRs from Amazon. Maybe I got lucky, but they worked really nice together. I did test the dark resistance of a bunch till I found two that were closest to spec and each other. The leds are right on the board and vertical with the LDRs bent to be facing down at the top of the LED. Then sealed them up in a bit of heat shrink that I pinched to close the top while still hot.

I really like how it sounds. It’s quieter than I would’ve expected too (I know optical is generally quieter to begin with, but it’s REALLY quiet for me) and also has more “squish” available than I was expecting.

I do feel like the treble control seems quite subtle? I don’t know. It’s odd. Feels like the treble control of it seems to impact other pedals than this one itself. Like if I crank up the treble knob it’s not too noticeably different with nothing else engaged. But if I add an overdrive it’s much spikier, much more harsh sounding. Dialing back the comp’s treble mellows my drives down the chain out a bit more. Kind of interesting , still getting a feel for how I want it. I think it’s a keeper though. I’ve not got to really open up my volume much either, so I’d expect that would impact that perception too.

Overall though I really recommend. As usual, struggling to find labels… might just go with the tried and true rubber stamps.

Attachments

• EF48DC00-1685-455C-B6ED-178BEA7D2944.jpeg
    EF48DC00-1685-455C-B6ED-178BEA7D2944.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 42
  • ED782644-8FCC-46AD-A929-5ED5B2C2A419.jpeg
    ED782644-8FCC-46AD-A929-5ED5B2C2A419.jpeg
    544.8 KB · Views: 43
Back