DEMO Glasshole- Mutron Phase II

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
The phase II tends to be everyone's phaser of choice. It comes in various form factors, from the single 125B to the monstrous biphase with bells and whistles added on. So what makes the glasshole worth the build? Stages.

The glasshole is at its heart the diy based work a like of the phase II. In this build I went with the 9203 photocells and orange led that Brian recommended in the build doc. My light shield is made from a pot cover I painted black. Other than that it's bone stock, except this one gives me the ultimate control over tone with that added rotary switch. So how's it sound?

My biggest complaint about the phase II has always been the richness of the phasing. Being a 6 stage phaser, the added notches in the phasing have always given it a more synthy tone. While that added smoothness is cool in the right context, I don't always like my phaser to sound so refined. The stages switch lets me go between 2 and 8 stages so I have total control over the phaser tone. Between the stock control set and the stages switch I can be as light and heavy in the tone as I want. This added versatility means I can cover more ground, going between a phase45 ish sound to almost PH-2 territory at 8 stages.

The build does call for more expensive ledrs but the end results are worth the added cost imo. Other than that it's a really simple build. I went with a matte black 1590BB2 enclosure and UV printing from tayda. For the glasshole theme I went with the Jon Bernthal Punisher logo. Stark white knobs/graphic on the black is really striking. I highly recommend this if you want yet another phase 11 that offers something a little different.

Lately when I'm testing pedals I like to record short clips to playback because things always sound different while you are playing, the focus isn't always on the tone while playing so this clip is one of these tests. In HS back in the 90s I hated creed but one of the guys in my band loved them. He was really religious and his dad was a pastor and I didn't know a lot of bass players then so we played this song when that album came out. It was the one song of theirs I could stomach so it made the setlist. I have the phaser set subtle in the clip. Also featured is an upcoming distortion.
jeDUT04.jpg
K8lUE0p.jpg
tPCb144.jpeg

2osSPKT.jpeg

It's ok .. was suggestions recalling groups that had a variety of effects w/o major suckage. Floyd's been done to hell and anybody else is OD/distortion/chorus.

Back