Guitar Wiring Question

megatrav

Hey friends!

I have been off the forum for a while and for that matter, I have not built a pedal in quite a while.

I am still playing guitar and I have been thinking about modding my Fender Duo Sonic HS. The main modification I want to do is convert the push/pull from coil splitting to series/parallel.

I found several diagrams for how to wire the switch. I wasn't entirely sure how they were different, but I'll decided to make some diagrams based on the Guitar Electronics Diagram
Humbucker_Series_Parallel__12314.jpg

Here is the stock wiring for the Duo Sonic HS
FW6IHhw.jpg stock_001.jpg
The wires colors are red (north start), black (south start), green and white (north and south finishes). I haven't worked out which is which so for these diagrams I made them blue.

Anyway, I'm not sure which of these is correct. I may be over thinking it and it may not matter since it is a passive circuit.
series_parallel_001.jpg series_parallel_002.jpg

Maybe its possible that I don't even need to run a separate wire from the DPDT and the pickup selector, but I wasn't sure and I know you guys would be able to fill me in!

Thanks!!

I see only a 3 wire conductor coming out of that Fender pickup. You can't do parallel switching with that configuration.

I love my Fender Duo Sonic HS. The pickups in mine sound so good. It just doesn't stay in tune very well.. going to have to figure out that nut. Very versatile guitar too.

I see only a 3 wire conductor coming out of that Fender pickup. You can't do parallel switching with that configuration.
It has 4 plus bare. Red (hot), Black (ground), Green and White are finishes and are tied together for coil splitting. There is also a bare wire for ground.

Hey friends!

I have been off the forum for a while and for that matter, I have not built a pedal in quite a while.

I am still playing guitar and I have been thinking about modding my Fender Duo Sonic HS. The main modification I want to do is convert the push/pull from coil splitting to series/parallel.

I found several diagrams for how to wire the switch. I wasn't entirely sure how they were different, but I'll decided to make some diagrams based on the Guitar Electronics Diagram
View attachment 58509

Here is the stock wiring for the Duo Sonic HS
View attachment 58511View attachment 58514
The wires colors are red (north start), black (south start), green and white (north and south finishes). I haven't worked out which is which so for these diagrams I made them blue.

Anyway, I'm not sure which of these is correct. I may be over thinking it and it may not matter since it is a passive circuit.
View attachment 58512View attachment 58516

Maybe its possible that I don't even need to run a separate wire from the DPDT and the pickup selector, but I wasn't sure and I know you guys would be able to fill me in!

Thanks!!
They are the same just a matter of preference or wire routing. Do you want an extra wire running to the 3 way or to the push/pull?

Okay, the Seymour Duncan schematic is valid. All wires of the humbucker have to go first to the 3pdt and then from there to the pickup selector.
The south start (black) on the 3pdt is the ground and needs a connection to ground via the switch pot ground.

Back