Hakko FX-951

Ive been on a soldering spree the last few weeks and I am having some weird reactions that I remember having the last time I soldered a lot over a year ago- not sure if there’s any connection- but I have a dry cough that’s kind of like a mild tickling at the back of my throat and I have random itchiness on my skin in spots.

I can only solder in the basement laundry room (it’s freezing weather 8+ months up here in Canada) I use one of those little usb fans to blow the smoke away from me. Trying to remember to wash my hands all the time but I’m sure it slipped my mind a few times. Got to be more careful...

Last edited:
Reactions: fig
@beachbum - I used to do a lot of bronze and silver brazing doing metal fab work on custom bicycle frames and in addition to some weird skin sensitivities I developed an allergy to certain fluxes; I used a half-mask respirator with P100 filters in the shop, otherwise even a whiff of certain chemical would give me "fluxhead"/"foundry flu" or whatever you want to call it. Basically a really miserable head cold/sneezing/etc that would hit almost exactly 24hrs after exposure and last for about a day and then clear up completely.

I got into pedal building (like a lot of people) at the start of the pandy, and very quickly noticed that I was having the same reaction to solder fumes as I would get from paste flux fumes etc. I spent $20 on benchtop solder fume extractor with a charcoal filter from amazon and it's basically cleared that reaction up completely. I don't have a dedicated space either and the portable fume extractor has been a real help. It might be the lead content but more than likely it's the rosin/flux that's triggering the reaction. You're basically snorting borax.

@beachbum - I used to do a lot of bronze and silver brazing doing metal fab work on custom bicycle frames and in addition to some weird skin sensitivities I developed an allergy to certain fluxes; I used a half-mask respirator with P100 filters in the shop, otherwise even a whiff of certain chemical would give me "fluxhead"/"foundry flu" or whatever you want to call it. Basically a really miserable head cold/sneezing/etc that would hit almost exactly 24hrs after exposure and last for about a day and then clear up completely.

I got into pedal building (like a lot of people) at the start of the pandy, and very quickly noticed that I was having the same reaction to solder fumes as I would get from paste flux fumes etc. I spent $20 on benchtop solder fume extractor with a charcoal filter from amazon and it's basically cleared that reaction up completely. I don't have a dedicated space either and the portable fume extractor has been a real help. It might be the lead content but more than likely it's the rosin/flux that's triggering the reaction. You're basically snorting borax.
I'll have to look into the mini extractor. Thanks. Cheapest I see on amazon is 50-60 canadian, then it's not that far a leap to the little hakko one that hovers in the 100CAD range.

I also suspect it's the rosin more than anything. I can't work with a mask though, it would make me crazy, especially after wearing one all the time outside now that fogs up my glasses instantly. I'm very sensitive to the smell and I try not to inhale while the smoke rises and I try to wait for the little fan to push everything away.

I am also going to take the advice here and try to have some separate 'PedalDIY' clothing and make a concerted effort to wash my hands well everytime I go near the area. I can't seem to find those D-wipes, but for the amount I do, I am not sure it's worth it.

Also once the ice caps melt I will probably be able to spend more time soldering outside. Something... positive to look forward to...

I have the Hakko FA-400.

Standing upright it's virtually useless unless you put it uncomfortably close to what you're soldering.
1615068710573.png

Laying flat on the bench it's a bit more usable but any draft whatsoever will overpower the thing and blow the fumes the other direction.
1615068787392.png

It's better than nothing, but it's far from perfect.

Reactions: fig
Good reminder to be mindful of my solder mindset: gotta run a tighter ship and be more vigilant with cleanup etc. I don't have a proper extractor fan yet, and even after holding my breath while soldering and a fan to blow away the fumes my throat is always soar after soldering, even if it's a quick touch-up on something.

It always makes me think about Bill "The Lead Slinger" Hines, King of Kustom Lead-Sleds. He started slingin' lead in 1941 and basically never stopped 'til he dropped in May 2016. He always had a cigar between his teeth, even while he worked — by the time he passed he must've had nothin' but pure hot lead running through his veins.

Here's some rare footage of him without a stogie, huffin'n'puffin in lead fumes while he controls the flow...

Blobbules to buttery-smooth in a matter of minutes. Amazing.
Just say no to bondo!

Rest in peace, Mr Hines.

Back