Hypercube Fuzz

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
Hey kids do you like octave? How about octave fuzz? I love the superfuzz, it's a great circuit, so you already knew that boss was gonna enter the fuzz market hard in the 90s. The FZ-2 was a reimagined version of the superfuzz that became a legend thanks to electric wizard. Here is my build of this sought after now expensive box.

The fz-2 is an over engineered version of the vintage superfuzz. At it's core is the vintage circuit but instead of a simple switch or knob to go between a scooped or flat mids tone, they made three modes and gave you a high and low tone knobs for ultimate sound control. The modes are then broken into mid forward, scooped and a clean boost mode.

The Aion hypercube is a stacked board design with an on/on/on switch to allow all three modes in a 125b enclosure. The layout was simple and didn't require low profile caps. For the jfets I used smd j201 instead of the originals. All in all a straight forward build with the only specialty part being the headers and pins.

For the enclosure I went with a matte black tayda enclosure and UV print. For the hypercube I used the tesseract which came out really well. Thanks to @SYLV9ST9R for brainstorming the hypercube text at the bottom. If you want a little more of a challenge and want to get that crushing octave fuzz sound then give this one a try.
arlYdj8.jpg
agOQroC.jpg
ZnA75hq.jpeg
ZQQcXkh.jpeg

Last edited:
I have to ask... Were you even a little tempted to use a blue LED?
Just the mention of the FZ-2 makes me start humming Funeralopolis. Such a distinct sound. Inspiring. Nice work.
I've done different color LEDs on projects before, but this boss collection I'm working on I wanted to keep everything uniform. All boss knobs only, same bezel and placement for led, same all white wiring. I thought about deviating on a few of these but came to my senses 😂

Back