DEMO Irrlicht Overdrive

This post contains an audio or video demo

jwyles90

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Hey hey! Finished this build the other day and was immediately impressed by how awesome it sounds. It can be tough to get excited about drives these days, given how many of them there are, but this one feels unique enough to stand out among some of the other drives I've built in the last year. It can go from a really pleasant, crispy, kinda crackly (in a good way) light overdrive all the way to some raunchy, fully saturated fuzz tones. The weight knob has a lot to do with it. For me I like to set the gain right around noon, and then use the weight knob to either cut some of the bottom end, or crank it up to add a heft and fullness to it. All in all this guy is surprisingly versatile and can do a lot with only a few controls. The compression knob is a nice feature too, but if I'm being honest I really love how it sounds in the up position (which is the compressed one I believe?) so it pretty much just stays there.

In the first video I've got the weight and gain knobs rolled back a bit (with a little bit of my Behringer Vibrato pedal thrown in the mix too). The second video is with both those knobs cranked so you can see the range. It won't let me insert a Vimeo clip for some reason, so these hyperlinks are the best I can do.
Demo 1
Demo 2
White Light front.png
White light guts.png

Oooh, that sound in the second demo clip is great!

This one was not on my radar, but it's on my wishlist now. Thanks!

That’s a lovely design! It makes me wonder what the Union Jack would look like if re-imagined by Feininger. Is it original? All in all, a lovely build.

That’s a lovely design! It makes me wonder what the Union Jack would look like if re-imagined by Feininger. Is it original? All in all, a lovely build.
Thank you! It is definitely Union Jack-esque. I wish I could take credit for it but I’m not really much of a visual artist, so I’ve been using some art generators for my decals. It’s been fun seeing what I can come up with and trying to match the design to the circuit inside it.

Thank you! It is definitely Union Jack-esque. I wish I could take credit for it but I’m not really much of a visual artist, so I’ve been using some art generators for my decals. It’s been fun seeing what I can come up with and trying to match the design to the circuit inside it.
Was it the type of art generator that uses verbal prompts? Curious what they were. (I still haven’t approached the water, much less dipped my toe in it.)

Was it the type of art generator that uses verbal prompts? Curious what they were. (I still haven’t approached the water, much less dipped my toe in it.)
Yea I use Starryai and just put in different prompt generators, styles, etc.

Here’s what I did for this one: IMG_9725.png
I have no idea what it’ll come up with or what I’m even doing half the time, and it often feels like a weird madlib haha. But that’s part of the fun of it I think.

Just wanted to say thanks again for posting that demo. I finished one of these over the weekend and it's great.

Back