Issues with cheap jacks and switch

Dan0h

Is it just me or is it a common problem. When I solder to cheap jacks and Tayda foot switches, my solder will not stick very easily. When I solder to switch craft jacks or foot switches I received from LoveMySwitches the solder flows and sticks like glue instantly. My guess is the cheap metals used versus good metals.

Common, tinning on cheaper lugs isn't very good. Some cleaning with isopropyl alcohol -might- help. You could also take some fine grit sandpaper and scuff the solder points a bit, and then also clean with isopropyl, that's helped me in a few scenarios in the past.

I tend to just hold my iron on the lugs just a second or two more and it fixes it. Maybe that's just me being stubborn.

Common, tinning on cheaper lugs isn't very good. Some cleaning with isopropyl alcohol -might- help. You could also take some fine grit sandpaper and scuff the solder points a bit, and then also clean with isopropyl, that's helped me in a few scenarios in the past.
Ah. I like the sanding tip. Makes sense. I am able to get the solder to sick with a little flux and holding the iron longer. I just always worry about frying my switches. Thank you.

One other thing of note that I recently noticed is Tayda's mini DC jacks (Lumberg look-alikes) I installed on pedals from last year are starting to fail. I've replaced them all with never-fail real Lumberg's.
They look exactly alike, however it's the way they feel when pushing the male jack cable into it that is the dead ringer. The Tayda ones are difficult to push in and go in slow with no confident click. The Lumberg's, on the other hand, go in easy with a nice tactile end point.

One other thing of note that I recently noticed is Tayda's mini DC jacks (Lumberg look-alikes) I installed on pedals from last year are starting to fail. I've replaced them all with never-fail real Lumberg's.
They look exactly alike, however it's the way they feel when pushing the male jack cable into it that is the dead ringer. The Tayda ones are difficult to push in and go in slow with no confident click. The Lumberg's, on the other hand, go in easy with a nice tactile end point.
Yep, pretty much the only part I have had issues with. I had a couple of mishaps where pushing in the plug pushed and broke the lug. I wished Tayda would carry the Lumberg ones. I bought a handful of the cheap one to replace if needed, and use the bigger plastic jacks when I can, and I've been using those mini connector between the jack and the board so it's easier if I need to fix something.

Yep, pretty much the only part I have had issues with. I had a couple of mishaps where pushing in the plug pushed and broke the lug. I wished Tayda would carry the Lumberg ones. I bought a handful of the cheap one to replace if needed, and use the bigger plastic jacks when I can, and I've been using those mini connector between the jack and the board so it's easier if I need to fix something.
I have a drawer with around 50 DC jacks in it and went through em all and threw out all the fakes, maybe 10 or so. I just feel bad for the people I sold early pedals to.

Just for peace of mind, I stopped buying offboard stuff from Tayda alltogether. Love My Switches is where I get offboard now. I'll happily spend a bit more for the confidence of buying quality Lumberg DC and in/outs, taiway, and their footswitches have never failed me once and to my ears have a quieter click.

I have a drawer with around 50 DC jacks in it and went through em all and threw out all the fakes, maybe 10 or so. I just feel bad for the people I sold early pedals to.

Just for peace of mind, I stopped buying offboard stuff from Tayda alltogether. Love My Switches is where I get offboard now. I'll happily spend a bit more for the confidence of buying quality Lumberg DC and in/outs, taiway, and their footswitches have never failed me once and to my ears have a quieter click.
I get you. I would, but shipping to Canada is making it $$ to shop from a couple of places (Small bear, LMS), but I do still order some stuff from them. I guess the convenience of having a one-stop shop (parts + UV printing) at Tayda sells it to me as I keep things at a small scale. But you're right, and I refitted a couple of pedals I recently sold with better DC jacks. Most of the other pedals that aren't for me I built for friends, so if ever there is an issue, they know they can come back to me :)

I've used the sandpaper approach on tayda jacks, and it works. But my new approach is to not buy the cheap tayda open-frame jacks.

I haven't had any issue using their enclosed jacks, which are also very cheap. And they offer higher quality jacks as well.

I also noticed they sell Lumberg now (and they charge more for them than other suppliers). Are these fakes?

Last edited:
Back