jb weld? much better than regular epoxy?

drgonzo1969

I have some old enclosures that I am going to repurpose and I am contemplating getting some JB Weld but I have epoxy on hand and was wondering how the two compare for plugging drill holes on enclosures. I have used regular epoxy in the past but it is hard to drill new holes near the old epoxy filled holes. Is JB Weld more sturdy in this regard? Would regular epoxy mixed up with metal dust from drilling work similarly to JB Weld? or should I just pony up and get the JB Weld for $9? thanks in advance

I have some old enclosures that I am going to repurpose and I am contemplating getting some JB Weld but I have epoxy on hand and was wondering how the two compare for plugging drill holes on enclosures. I have used regular epoxy in the past but it is hard to drill new holes near the old epoxy filled holes. Is JB Weld more sturdy in this regard? Would regular epoxy mixed up with metal dust from drilling work similarly to JB Weld? or should I just pony up and get the JB Weld for $9? thanks in advance
I use the JB Weld Steel Stik on my enclosures. I have about half left, apparently I screw up a lot . 🤣🤣🤣

I'd say either pony up for the JB... or use the epoxy you do have to attach sheet aluminum with your new hole alignment... gonna cost anyways you look at it...

I haven't patched any enclosures, or used any JB branded products, but I've used a couple different brands of the putty-type Tootsie roll stuff, and all have been really impressive. I'd definitely try any of those over a liquid two part epoxy if that's what you're talking about.

I haven't patched any enclosures, or used any JB branded products, but I've used a couple different brands of the putty-type Tootsie roll stuff, and all have been really impressive. I'd definitely try any of those over a liquid two part epoxy if that's what you're talking about.
what brand would you recommend for the tootsie roll type stuff?

I think I've used the "Quik Steel" ones a couple times, but I kind of assume they're all the same stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to grab whatever's cheapest or available locally.

Epoxy is really designed to go between two closely fitting surfaces. Bondo on the other hand is designed to be machined after filling! I pulled out a dent in my motorcycle gas tank (back in the 70's) and used this to fill all the whoop-de-do's. Sanded, painted, you could not tell it was ever smashed.

1689030254820.png

I wouldn’t use bondo to plug drill holes. It’s too soft for that. It’s a body filler, for making things look pretty-er-ish. I would go for the JB weld putty. I plug some holes in an enclosure not too long ago with reg JB weld, and it was a PITA to get it flush with the surface. A lot of prep work, respectively, and two coats of the stuff. It seem like the tootsie roll stuff would’ve worked better and is what I’ll be trying next time I inevitably screw up an enclosure.

I wouldn’t use bondo to plug drill holes. It’s too soft for that. It’s a body filler, for making things look pretty-er-ish. I would go for the JB weld putty. I plug some holes in an enclosure not too long ago with reg JB weld, and it was a PITA to get it flush with the surface. A lot of prep work, respectively, and two coats of the stuff. It seem like the tootsie roll stuff would’ve worked better and is what I’ll be trying next time I inevitably screw up an enclosure.
Bondo is an epoxy with filler added, uses MEK to harden! I've used the two part putty too, much less smell.....

Bondo is an epoxy with filler added, uses MEK to harden! I've used the two part putty too, much less smell.....
Pretty sure bondo is polyester, the MEK hardener is the tip off.

That said, I use a high grade bondo to fill holes in pedals, etc, and don’t have any trouble with drilling new holes that overlap into the older, filled holes. BUT, I’m typically using end mills when I do that; I think with drill bits, I’d lean more towards a filled epoxy, the the JB.

Last edited:
Pretty sure bondo is polyester, the MEK hardener is the tip off.

That said, I use a high grade bondo to fill holes in pedals, etc, and don’t have any trouble with drilling new holes that overlap into the older, filled holes. BUT, I’m typically using end mills when I do that; I think with drill bits, I’d lean more towards a filled epoxy, the the JB.
You're right, my memory is getting foggy with age!!!!

You're right, my memory is getting foggy with age!!!!
Not to mention all those poly-esters. I’m sure that the fumes can’t be good for our brains.

I became really sensitized to it one winter, when I helped a buddy who was designing, building, and testing Fiberglas kayaks. Tiny garage in a Wisconsin winter, no fresh air at all. Then, about 5 years went by, and I started occasionally needing to use polyester resin in projects—and almost immediately realized that small exposures were affecting me. (woozy feeling)

Not to mention all those poly-esters. I’m sure that the fumes can’t be good for our brains.

I became really sensitized to it one winter, when I helped a buddy who was designing, building, and testing Fiberglas kayaks. Tiny garage in a Wisconsin winter, no fresh air at all. Then, about 5 years went by, and I started occasionally needing to use polyester resin in projects—and almost immediately realized that small exposures were affecting me. (woozy feeling)
Covid attacks nerves, including the brain among other things. I lost the ability to sing after I had the delta variant (it killed my wife). I've regained my cognitive ability, and can sing and play as good as ever. But my memory has been like scrambled eggs ever since.

My arthritis has been very bad ever since delta C and I have to take 1/4th of a tramadol at least twice a day. It has an aphasia like effect on my brain. I'll want to say tree and will say pole. Or think epoxy instead of polyester.... Sometimes the results are quite humorous! Hey, gotta roll with the punches, eh?

I've patched a couple boxes with regular JB Weld before. I covered the holes on the inside and then filled the holes. After it set up a few days I took the palm sander to the top of the box and flushed things up. There were some pinholes from bubbles I assume that showed up after sanding, so I did another skim coat over the filled holes, waited for it to cure, then flushed up with the sander again. Seemed to work OK. The pedals are still in one piece as far as I know.

I've patched a couple boxes with regular JB Weld before. I covered the holes on the inside and then filled the holes. After it set up a few days I took the palm sander to the top of the box and flushed things up. There were some pinholes from bubbles I assume that showed up after sanding, so I did another skim coat over the filled holes, waited for it to cure, then flushed up with the sander again. Seemed to work OK. The pedals are still in one piece as far as I know.
Exactly! I think the putty would work better for that. Imma try it next time I screw up an enclosure.

So, my apologies if this is a necro (thread is less than a month old, but I don't know the local standards) but as an old modeller who's used all off the materials mentioned above, I hope I can provide a comparison:

My most recommend would be the hardware store steel-impregnated epoxy putty. It will have the best balance of strength, adhesion, and toolabilty. It's the only one I might use without putting a permanent backing over the hole (like a piece of brass sheet) for reinforcement.

Procedure would be to place masking tape across the back of the hole, mix a small amount of putty and pack it into the hole. Use something rigid like a bit of card or something to brace the back of the tape while packing. It can be smoothed using water or isopropyl and any flat, smooth tool without crowned or burred edges (a popsicle stick will work, but something like the back of a polished knife will work better, as long as it has a straight edge). With careful smoothing, you can minimize or even eliminate the need for sanding to get a flush surface.

The epoxy won't bond well to the tape adhesive, so once it's cured, you can peel the tape off the back quite cleanly. Tool and surface cleanup can be done with isopropyl.

Ideally wear gloves when handling any expoxies or epoxy putties. They are not usually irritants, but they are allergy sensitizers.

JB Weld is the best metal-to-metal adhesive I've personally used, and can be used as a toolable putty if you do it right. However, it will be brittle in this sort of application (flat, thin, and freestanding) unless you use a permanent backing. It also has a very long setting and curing time (~4 hours), and that discourages casual use. There is a 5-minute version, but in my experience it's rubbish compared to the regular version, so I don't recommend it at all.

Procedure would be the same as with epoxy putty, but you''ll want to use some JB Weld to glue the brass sheet across the back of the hole before taping it down and filling in the front. Leave it for ~2 hours to partially cure, and you'll be able to smooth it with water almost like an epoxy putty before it finishes curing.

Combining steel epoxy putty with a JB welded brass or aluminum sheet backing will give you the most secure and load bearing results out of all the materials/methods mentioned.

Bondo's main advantages are that it's cheap by volume, and it mixes very quickly and easily. Downsides are it's messy AF, has the least aggressive adhesion relative to the other options mentioned, shrinks as it cures, is not truly thixotropic, and absolutely no-negotiation requires full ventilation and gloves to work with. It is toxic and VERY fumey. I would avoid it in small application uses like this unless you're already experienced with it. Generally speaking, it works best in larger applications, and if you can afford epoxy putty you should use that instead, in literally any use case IMO. Epoxy putty adheres better, is WAY more controllable, way more dimensionally stable, and tools/sands better.

Clear "liquid" epoxy varies a lot between manufacturers, but generally I wouldn't recommend it unless you need/want pourabilty or transparency. It adheres better than bondo, but not as well as JB Weld. It will have great initial lack of brittleness, but will often become more brittle as it ages (just a few years). Toolability is about on par with bondo, and it generally shrinks less than bondo, but more than putty or JB Weld.

Stuff to avoid (not mentioned by others, but I feel I must head it off, as you're likely to see it mentioned elsewhere):

"Green Stuff" AKA Kneadatite epoxy putty. This is popular among gaming mini modelers, but it's unsuited to the job discussed here. It has chewing gum like consistency when soft, so it's harder to apply precisely and to smooth/feather when soft. It cures to a hard rubber consistency, so it doesn't take tooling or sanding well. It adheres about as well as bondo.

Other modelling/sculpting epoxy putties like Milliput, Aves, or MagicSculpt. These will be usable, and will work about as well as the plastic/wood repair harware store epoxy putties, but won't be as durable/load bearing as the steel type (roughly in the same class as bondo durabilty-wise, though better in almost every other way except cost).

CA glue/Superglue and baking soda. This is fast and easy, but fumey, messy, brittle when fully hardened, and remains chemically reactive forever due to the baking soda. Using talc insted of baking soda makes it less brittle and non-reactive when hardened, but it's still not good enough, and still messy.

How tf do you test kayaks in the winter in Wisconsin?
Wait. Jeeps. Nm.
Also, I'll add my 2 cents.
Use wider nuts, find a big washer or drill the bottom and flip it over. Otherwise, clean it on the metal wheel and toss it out with the recycling.
I'm not sanding an enclosure 17 more times to save 10 bucks. Sh*t, that's $10 in jb weld and sanding discs unless your using hobo freight, then it's 50 cents in sanding discs spread over 37 discs a several hours.
There's a whole lot of cats that patch potholes, and most of them still suck at it. I already know which camp I'll be in and will save my time.

Back