Metal Stamp through powder coat?

Hi y'all, long time first time... Anyone have experience using a metal stamp on an enclosure that already has a powder coat? I seem to remember that powder coats can crack, but I'm not sure if that is a function of age or just something inherent with the process. Building a pair of Parentheses (Parenthesi?) and want to use a prepainted black enclosure, stamp, and paint the imprinted letters gold. Thoughts?

All you can do is try. I’ve never done it personally but use the bottom plate to experiment and make sure you have a stamping block underneath it!

Bottom plates testing is a good idea. Thanks for the rubber stamp idea- really would rather the physical stamp route, not too worried bout the powder coat otherwise.

Every time I’ve tried with Tayda powder coats, they’ve cracked.

Dunno about other companies’ powder coats, I gave up and just stick to labelmaker labels or waterslide decals now

I'm thinking at best you'll chip it if you use metal stamps at worst remove a large chunk so I wouldn't do it, but you won't know till you whack it, might be fine and I'd go with @Nostradoomus

Trying the bottom plate first

Other options

I've ironed toner transfers to powder coated boxes with the temperature at max with no problem

My logic being it was coated in an oven my iron gets no where near as hot as so wouldn't damage or remove the powder coat

If you're just stamping ink on like Dan does, it'll be fine as long as you can get it to adhere check some of Dan's build reports, his logo's particularly cool I think

Painting over, I'd maybe go with an enamel model paint you'll need something that'll stick to a fairly glossy and not completely smooth surface so I'd also recommend a clear coat if you try it or it'll scrape off easily

Here's one of the said ironed on toner transfer boxes a ppcb simulcast only problem is if it doesn't adhere fully it's a mofo to get off to try again, I left the iron on much longer than I normally do about 20 minutes

20190901_015543.jpg

Hey - I've stamped a bunch of pedals, wish I could give you some advice but it seems hit or miss for me. I had luck with Tayda's powder coating for maybe 6-8 enclosures, but after I had a few crack in a row, I've stopped doing it. I tried a couple other places but both cracked. Love My Switches and... Mouser I think?

Here's a few examples of the Tayda ones

Back