Missing Build Docs / Schematics

Looking at the board for the Pharmacist Overdrive, I see that the locations are all marked with references to to C10, R13, etc. I don't see a parts list, BOM or schematic to follow. Will that info be included with the board when shipped?

Face Melter build document - value of the SIZZLE potentiometer on a schematic (A100k) does not match parts list and PCB silkscreen (A10k)
There's some other threads that discuss this. You can use either, but the preference is for A10K.

Hello,
would there be a possibility to get a schematic for the Fuzz Stain? Mine does not work unfortunately and I do not really know where to go with the audio probe exactly. As far as I can see, the build documentation is missing on the website or did I miss something?
Thanks & best regards
Jan

I know its still early, but what do I need to assemble the protoboard? No docs are posted yet. Also, for the Dream Fuzz, is the SPDT an on/on? It doesn't mention it in the doc.

Last edited:
Yep it will list components values and not the part numbers so that you can populate the board without a build doc
Board arrived today. Still a couple questions --
1. is the idea to align the unmarked solder pads at the bottom of the board on the left & right sides to the similar unmarked solder pads on the switch PCB? Start at the left and connect a wire from the leftmost hole on the board to the leftmost hole on the switch PCB and so on across the row?
2. Two mystery pads, one above a 2n2222 and another above 10uF marking?
3. Positive + and negative - pads are DC input?
4. A---K are maybe + and - for the LEDs? A---K does not mean much. Is this maybe from German for A-node and K-athode?

Attachments

• 2021-08-18-0002 (Large).jpg
    2021-08-18-0002 (Large).jpg
    907.9 KB · Views: 36
Board arrived today. Still a couple questions --
1. is the idea to align the unmarked solder pads at the bottom of the board on the left & right sides to the similar unmarked solder pads on the switch PCB? Start at the left and connect a wire from the leftmost hole on the board to the leftmost hole on the switch PCB and so on across the row?
2. Two mystery pads, one above a 2n2222 and another above 10uF marking?
3. Positive + and negative - pads are DC input?
4. A---K are maybe + and - for the LEDs? A---K does not mean much. Is this maybe from German for A-node and K-athode?
1. Yep, those pads need to connect to the switch daughter boards.
2. Those pads will be your in and out connection to your audio jacks. Both have a ground connection. It’s the same format for all PedalPCB builds. If they are not marked in/gnd and out/ground check continuity with a multimeter to the - power pad.
3. Yep they are your power connections to your power jack.
4. You are spot on. Anode +ve Long lead and kathode -ve short lead of the LED.

Look at some other PedalPCB build docs to get an idea

1. Yep, those pads need to connect to the switch daughter boards.
2. Those pads will be your in and out connection to your audio jacks. Both have a ground connection. It’s the same format for all PedalPCB builds. If they are not marked in/gnd and out/ground check continuity with a multimeter to the - power pad.
3. Yep they are your power connections to your power jack.
4. You are spot on. Anode +ve Long lead and kathode -ve short lead of the LED.

Look at some other PedalPCB build docs to get an idea
Firstly - Thank You. That completes the requirements for a build.
Secondly... well...So much is assumed here that requires me to have much experience with the peculiarities of your one way of doing things. It's your call, of course but I would like to point out that not everybody is a veteran of your projects. I buy boards from many vendors and while the quality of your boards is very very good, the places where you gloss over things could benefit from at least a little improvement. If you aren't going to post a BOM or build doc - which you must have some version of since you made the thing - and are letting the board markings tell the whole story.... well, why not let it tell the actual whole story? Those extra little markings would barely take up any room or ink and would go a long way toward making the boards standalone self-explanatory. They are pretty close right now, but I just don't feel like I should have to keep coming back here and saying, "please, sir - what is this mystery item on the board?" You're so close!

Firstly - Thank You. That completes the requirements for a build.
Secondly... well...So much is assumed here that requires me to have much experience with the peculiarities of your one way of doing things. It's your call, of course but I would like to point out that not everybody is a veteran of your projects. I buy boards from many vendors and while the quality of your boards is very very good, the places where you gloss over things could benefit from at least a little improvement. If you aren't going to post a BOM or build doc - which you must have some version of since you made the thing - and are letting the board markings tell the whole story.... well, why not let it tell the actual whole story? Those extra little markings would barely take up any room or ink and would go a long way toward making the boards standalone self-explanatory. They are pretty close right now, but I just don't feel like I should have to keep coming back here and saying, "please, sir - what is this mystery item on the board?" You're so close!
The build docs usually get posted within a few weeks and that becomes less of an issue for everyone. Folks that want to purchase the board right when it is released are usually people already familiar with the general build process. Best advice would probably be to wait to assemble a board until the build document and schematic are available. Sometimes the build docs will get published without the schematic, and then get updated later.

Your point that some additional labels on the boards would make it clearer for other builders is still a good suggestion, and I bet we will see that happen soon. Overall, I think the layout for the pharmacist board is very clean and organized. I like the row of resistors, the spacing for the caps, and the dual build option for the 2N5457s. I wonder if the included min-boards for the footswitches will also become more common.

The IN/OUT pads are usually marked, but they do sometimes get overlooked on the initial run of boards. They will be marked in the next batch.
This is a bit of a rare occurrence, the majority of the boards don't connect directly to the jacks like this one.

I wonder if the included min-boards for the footswitches will also become more common.

Yep, I plan to include them on any future projects that have a non-standard wiring scheme.

Just in case you don't have a DMM handy....
1629402286606.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The IN/OUT pads are usually marked, but they do sometimes get overlooked on the initial run of boards. They will be marked in the next batch.
This is a bit of a rare occurrence, the majority of the boards don't connect directly to the jacks like this one.

Yep, I plan to include them on any future projects that have a non-standard wiring scheme.

Just in case you don't have a DMM handy....
That's great news.

The build docs usually get posted within a few weeks and that becomes less of an issue for everyone. Folks that want to purchase the board right when it is released are usually people already familiar with the general build process. Best advice would probably be to wait to assemble a board until the build document and schematic are available. Sometimes the build docs will get published without the schematic, and then get updated later.

Your point that some additional labels on the boards would make it clearer for other builders is still a good suggestion, and I bet we will see that happen soon. Overall, I think the layout for the pharmacist board is very clean and organized. I like the row of resistors, the spacing for the caps, and the dual build option for the 2N5457s. I wonder if the included min-boards for the footswitches will also become more common.
If, like me, you just pop in from time to time to see if anything piques my interest, there's no way to tell that something was just introduced. It's just another board. It's wrong to assume that if I buy one that just coincidentally happens to be new that I am a knowing early adopter and should automatically have all the context that a constant repeat customer has. I don't want to join a cult! Just want to build a project from a PCB from time to time. That will include enough information to actually build the thing! That's reasonable, don't you think?
:)

...and the dual build option for the 2N5457s. I wonder if the included min-boards for the footswitches will also become more common.
What do you mean by Dual Build Option for 2N5457s?
Do those unlabeled empty rectangles at the 2N5457 locations have any significance?

there's no way to tell that something was just introduced
Your point is well-taken, but there's a pretty obvious marker that something was just introduced. It's done that way so folks that wanna jump on it can before waiting for build docs that they might not need.

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 2.11.15 PM.png

What do you mean by Dual Build Option for 2N5457s?
Do those unlabeled empty rectangles at the 2N5457 locations have any significance?
There are both through-hole and SMD options for the JFETs. The 'empty rectangles' with the label right next to them are for the SMD part. Only one should be populated. This makes the project more viable for more people since (real) through-hole JFETs are harder to come by.

Also, as @PedalPCB said, it's quite rare that the silkscreen for those pads is missing.

Your point is well-taken, but there's a pretty obvious marker that something was just introduced. It's done that way so folks that wanna jump on it can before waiting for build docs that they might not need.

View attachment 15059

There are both through-hole and SMD options for the JFETs. The 'empty rectangles' with the label right next to them are for the SMD part. Only one should be populated. This makes the project more viable for more people since (real) through-hole JFETs are harder to come by.

Also, as @PedalPCB said, it's quite rare that the silkscreen for those pads is missing.
I see that it is true. I did not know, as you many "clubhouse" members do, that it also means, possibly with errors, omissions and missing or too-sparse information. Now I know much better what the scene is here.

Back