Need epoxy for potting

matt3310

Anyone know of a good epoxy for potting circuit boards? Black in color preferably. I bought a couple of different kinds and they were way to runny. Need something that I can put on and not easily run off the board!

If you are the same one who posted this on Facebook sorry for the double. But it needs said:

Be careful with whatever black epoxy you use. One of the more common pigments used is carbon based, which is conductive (I’ve used some of it in the past)
A quick search found an electronic grade potting epoxy on Amazon: Epoxy Seal 9000

I’ve also used Limitrak epoxy based paint before. Of course our purposes were arc mitigation (and keeping moisture out), so we never had to worry about removing it for repairs.

Am I the only one that sees the irony of having this conversation on this forum?
If he’s asking for any reason outside of enviroproofing it etc… big time! Not criticizing but it is funny given what most of us build lol

Tangent to this: I saw on another forum a while back an actual big name pedal builder correct the schematics someone posted of one of his pedals 🤣 then went on to tell him he didn’t care if he built the clone, as long as he didn’t try to sell it or pass it off as his own design.
Let me just say- he is one of the few builders I wouldn’t hesitate to give my business.
The tone is in the carbon pigmented goop
Wot?!? I thought it was in the crystal lettuce?!?

Last edited:
I ordered a batch of my boards and I used the wrong foot print for one of the IC's. I am reordering boards, but want to use these still. I have made an "adapter tower" for the fix. I want to epoxy this to keep it from coming apart.
Well, that's a good reason!
At least up to the 8 Pin Dip Socket!!!

Anyone know of a good epoxy for potting circuit boards? Black in color preferably. I bought a couple of different kinds and they were way to runny. Need something that I can put on and not easily run off the board!

I've used this and a few other of their products with excellent results: https://atomadhesives.com/aa-bond-2...mpound-2-part-staking-room-temp-or-heat-cure/

I'd ping their tech support about recommended fillers for thickening, on their or your end, for 2212 I've always just used a dam of some sort.

Whoa! I was not expecting that IC tower of Pisa. I'm sorry we (some of us) doubted you! :)

Is there no SMD version of that chip?

1709995139788.png

Back