Only two differences between the 808 and TS9?

Fizz

I recently got the Horde Howler from Effects Layouts and am looking forward to building it. Apparently it can be built with 8 different TS layouts from his parts recommendations. It looks like there is only two differences (R17 & R18) between the 808 and the TS9 on his list (see page two of his build doc). Is this true for the originals?

I'll be building this all 8 ways on a breadboard to see which I prefer.

What is recommended for a socket that I can change out diodes?

There are 2 differences in resistor values, and arguably two more differences in diodes and op amps. The TS808 had MA150 diodes and usually JRC4558D/RC4558P, the TS9 I believe usually has 1S1588 diodes and a few different op amps, but I associate the TA75558P with it. The forward voltage difference isn't massive with these, 1S1588 measure pretty much the same as 1n914/1n4148 and ma150 measures a little bit higher from what I've heard. I don't know if these differences account for any significant tonal differences in reality.

I always thought that the two pedals schematically are pretty much similar. The difference is in the impedance. (TS 808 is true bypass).
Maybe, this caused the interaction with the amp that could make sound "better" the TS808.
What do you think?

I always thought that the two pedals schematically are pretty much similar. The difference is in the impedance. (TS 808 is true bypass).
Maybe, this caused the interaction with the amp that could make sound "better" the TS808.
What do you think?

Only the newer hand wired 808 is true bypass, the standard ones were jfet switching. I think bad parts tolerances are the major contributors to differences in comparisons, when a pot is 20% either way it’s hard to have good comparisons.

One thing which always bugged me about Tubescreamers was how squishy they can be. So I once built a TS9 with two pairs of 1N4148 diodes instead of the single pair and that was enlightening. To me it was a lot more fun for a small mod - it still totally sounded like a TS but had a much better, more "real" feel to it.

One thing which always bugged me about Tubescreamers was how squishy they can be. So I once built a TS9 with two pairs of 1N4148 diodes instead of the single pair and that was enlightening. To me it was a lot more fun for a small mod - it still totally sounded like a TS but had a much better, more "real" feel to it.
I like LED clipping.

I got both.. and the OD-1 in two forms too. Actually I bought two UberDrives from PedalPCB because I am a Marshall player and it is supposed to be "THE" pedal for an 80s Marshall hard rocker like me. I'm going to build one with typical cheap parts and the second one I may either try to mod a bit or just use better parts and see if there is much of a difference.

Back