DEMO Parasit Studio The Corruptor 3.0 for my SCHMORG

This post contains an audio or video demo

dawson

So I've been on the lookout for projects that can accept control voltage (CV) clocks or modulation in an attempt to integrate my pedalboard and modular synthesizer, and Parasit Studio's got a cool handful of options.

Todays' build is The Corruptor ring modulator version 3.0 :
MtwViAU.jpg

LDhmkYg.jpg

Ring modulators are really something else.. the best explanation I could find was in an article at Sweetwater "it’s an audio mixer that combines two signals and outputs their sum and difference while subtracting the original frequencies." I can grasp it when someone poetically oversimplifies the concept like that but certainly not to the point that I can predict what's going to happen.

The best way for me to approach ring modulators with trial + error + experimentation. It won't really do your favorite cover songs and the square-wave sound isn't for everybody, but if you've got an ear for peculiar riffs and noises, the Corruptor sort of writes them for you.

Like I said- I'm all about that CV at the moment so this build can switch on/off and between another SCHMORG module and a panel-mounted source. Other than that, it's a stock build. I made a little video showing a couple possible uses and sounds, as well as the range of the frequency control. I did my best to be music-like.

There's an Aion Convex in front of it to get a good input but I didn't mess with any other drives or effects for time's sake.
*By the way this is my first DEMO, so if you watch it- any critique would be neat. I'd like to know how it might improve for next time- I'm already looking into recording better audio quality..

If you're wondering WTF is wrong with this guy who thinks it's okay to build upside-down pedals with no pants on, this thread may answer a question or two:
SCHMORG

Thanks for reading!

Everyone is joking about robot noises but I have to say I really like the aesthetic of this build! Something about the control panel and the one large Moog-style knob combined with the two smaller ones off to the side is hitting a particular vibe that looks amazing, especially combined with the intriguing simplicity of the lower-half graphic.

Everyone is joking about robot noises but I have to say I really like the aesthetic of this build! Something about the control panel and the one large Moog-style knob combined with the two smaller ones off to the side is hitting a particular vibe that looks amazing, especially combined with the intriguing simplicity of the lower-half graphic.

Hey, thanks a lot- I'm glad you like it!
Moving controls around and customizing the interface is one of my favorite parts of building some of these things and I'm really happy with how this one turned out.

I'm not sure what to say in terms of improving your demo. Seriously; even with the "bad" sound, the harmonic richness of this ring mod sounds really special to me. Put it this way—your demo just sold its first circuitboard.

Oh—Everything was very musical; it was enjoyable. Your selections gave a good sense of what happened harmonically at different settings (after the demo of the different settings). Logical placement to me. The first studio section was underlit so the camera was struggling with grain, etc., but the following scenes were lit much better.

And, really great visual design on this one! (the pedal).

@Alan W thanks a lot for the input- I'm super glad to know my efforts have directed you toward a Corruptor of your own!

PedalPCB also just released a new ring modulator- the Cordyceps, which has been getting some stellar reviews recently. I'm looking forward to comparing the schematics of the two to see if I might be able to hack CV control into that project in a similar way. I predict a 7% chance it'll be a situation both possible and easy enough for me to figure out..

Anyhow- enjoy your Corruptor and I'll keep an eye on the lighting in my videos!

@Alan W thanks a lot for the input- I'm super glad to know my efforts have directed you toward a Corruptor of your own!

PedalPCB also just released a new ring modulator- the Cordyceps, which has been getting some stellar reviews recently. I'm looking forward to comparing the schematics of the two to see if I might be able to hack CV control into that project in a similar way. I predict a 7% chance it'll be a situation both possible and easy enough for me to figure out..

Anyhow- enjoy your Corruptor and I'll keep an eye on the lighting in my videos!
I don't have a Corruptor currently built, but I do have a Cordyceps and New Wave CV generator I can play with and report back.

Looking at the data sheets, it seems pin 7 of the 565 would be the best place to inject the CV signal

Back