Parentheses V1 noise when octave is active, any idea why? (video included)

Abyssmal

Hello
Some help would be very appreciated.
I was using my parentheses since a little while now, i never noticed this much noise when activating the octave, is this normal?
Here's a video using the clean channel of my amp and the guitar was connected to the pedal but with the guitar volume down.
I tried it outside my big pedalboard and it's the same noise.
Also tried my second pedal build with the same parts and it's also the same behavior...
I tried OP07CP and LM741, both from Tayda as well as all other parts.
The two Germanium diodes on the picture are now in reverse position, i think there was an error on the pcb silkscreen for this v1
If i use only 1 jack at the input and no jack at the output there is a constant high pitch oscillation no matter what i do with it even with octave off and i can see the LED inside the pedal going ON when the oscillation starts while increasing the gain pot, then when i insert a jack at the output stock, this oscillation goes away but the octave noise remain present.
Please don't blame it on the soldering skills, i solder since 7 years now, that's probably not the problem.

parentheses-fuzz-3.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update...
Today i worked a lot on it trying to figure what is happening.
It seems i had one bad power suply making noise, that did not help trying to find the issue.
When trying with the good power supply i can hear oscillation noise when the gain knob is past halfway and this noise increase when i activate the octave knob. But all this is just when there is no guitar connected at the input. When i connect my guitar it's a lot better like any high gain fuzz or distortion pedal.
I replaced every transistor and led, also tried different germanium diodes. All the soldering is perfect, no shorts anywhere.
So unless someone can confirm this is not normal when no guitar is connected at the input i will leave it as is assuming it's normal.
Both of my builds behave exactly the same and both have legit parts either from tayda, mouser, digikey or amplifiedparts websites.
I use LM741 because even if OP07CP says it's tested working in the build doc, it indeed works but then activating the octave it will choke the attack of every note i play, with LM741 it works very well, also lm308 works fine but i'm not sure if they are genuine so i'll keep LM741 in them.

PXL_20230414_012441029.jpg

Hello Hamerfan,
i was having good continuity between the enclosure and pcb ground but i went ahead and sanded the socket holes just to get an even better ground point. It did not help though, but what i realised is if i short to ground the input socket, i can increase the gain at max and octave at max without any noise. Maybe the 1M resistor to ground at the input on the schematic is too high value? I'm not sure, do you have this v1 parentheses fuzz to test it out? It's really an oscilation as soon as the gain knob is close to 50% or more and as soon as i connect a cable in the input socket all that oscillation goes away.
I also changed the sockets for a different model just in case.
If the input was shorted to ground when no jack is at the input, it would solve the oscillation problem.
It's not really a big problem because there is usualy a jack at the input, so no noise, but it's really weird and i would really like to understand what is happening and if it's normal for this version, i took a look at the new version on pedalpcb and it seems the input is the same with 1M resistor and everything else near this node.

1681508348902.png

PXL_20230414_211311198.jpg

PXL_20230414_212906159.jpg

Hmmmm loll
I got my oscilloscope on it and as soon as i get near the 1M resistor with my probe the oscillation goes away, not even making contact with the 1M resistor, at about 1 cm distance the noise is almost gone.

I took a deeper look at the new version schematic, it's the same except with the new rotary switch section.
If anyone with a diy version can comment here about this, it would be great.
At this point i'm 99% sure it's normal and there must be something else in the real store eqd life pedal because my friend has one and it does not make this oscillation noise when nothing is connected to the input socket.

Oh..
I just noticed on the new version, on pedalpcb website there is this feature listed in the description:
  • Improved trace routing to prevent circuit oscillation

Yeah so i checked with a friend who built a v3 of this circuit from pedalpcb and it has no oscillation noise like what i'm having.
I will now stop working on this and assume v1 was routed in a way that cause crosstalk between traces on the pcb.

Back