PedalPCB 5-Loop True Bypass Switcher

OK, first question...

Should each pair of Send/Receive jacks be normalled so that an empty loop doesn't create an open connection if it's activated?

Eg: if nothing is plugged in to a loop the Send/Receive is internally jumpered as if a patch cable was connected across them.

• Individual mode
    • Intelligent relay bypass behavior: latching on/off and momentary NOR.
    • Double click to bypass everything.
  • Bank mode
    • Cycle up/down through banks with sets of two foot switches.
    • Banks are assigned by cycling through banks, then long-pressing the channels to be assigned.
  • General
    • Switchable channel buffer(s) or input/output buffers. At least one channel should be true bypass.
    • Global mute to just send to a tuner.

OK, first question...

Should each pair of Send/Receive jacks be normalled so that an empty loop doesn't create an open connection if it's activated?

Eg: if nothing is plugged in to a loop the Send/Receive is internally jumpered as if a patch cable was connected across them.
Yes! With no plugs inserted, each I/O pair should be configured to pass the signal even if activated when the I/O pair is empty.

Selectable Channel switching mode, so essentially the channel switching mode from the intelligent relay bypass board, but more easily configurable…
For example it could be set to “1 or 3 or 4” while keeping loops 2 and 5 outside of the channel switching action; “1 or 2; 4 or 5” while loop 3 operates outside of the channel switching action. Not sure I’m making much sense; just woke up.
I’d say yes, with one note… have the switching jack in the first loop be the return, so it’s configured to allow loop one to act as an A/B input selector for switching between two instruments, and have the switching jack in the final loop be the return, so it’s configured to allow loop 5 to act as an A/B output selector for switching between two amps/channels

Selectable Channel switching mode, so essentially the channel switching mode from the intelligent relay bypass board, but more easily configurable…
For example it could be set to “1 or 3 or 4” while keeping loops 2 and 5 outside of the channel switching action; “1 or 2; 4 or 5” while loop 3 operates outside of the channel switching action. Not sure I’m making much sense; just woke up.

The Intelligent module can do this, although "easily configurable" is questionable. You can hold down a footswitch while powering on to turn on or off channel switching mode for that footswitch.

I’d say yes, with one note… have the switching jack in the first loop be the return, so it’s configured to allow loop one to act as an A/B input selector for switching between two instruments, and have the switching jack in the final loop be the return, so it’s configured to allow loop 5 to act as an A/B output selector for switching between two amps/channels

I'll have to think about this one to wrap my head around it. I didn't just wake up but it's still early. :ROFLMAO:

One thing that needs consideration is how all of this programming will take place. I don't want to clutter up the interface with a bunch of extra switches or buttons, but it still should be somewhat intuitive to configure without needing a book.

One thing that needs consideration is how all of this programming will take place. I don't want to clutter up the interface with a bunch of extra switches or buttons, but it still should be somewhat intuitive to configure without needing a book.
+1 to that. I think ease of use can make or break something like this. Can’t remember the brand but there was a switcher with dip switches (on the front panel) to select loops for each “bank” which I thought was clever. I’ll post a pic if I find it.

Will each switch be dedicated to its respective loop or is it possible to also have the ability to select multiple loops (via programming ) with one switch as well?

+1 to that. I think ease of use can make or break something like this. Can’t remember the brand but there was a switcher with dip switches (on the front panel) to select loops for each “bank” which I thought was clever. I’ll post a pic if I find it.

I want to say that was made by Carl Martin, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Yep, the Octa-Switch.

Will each switch be dedicated to its respective loop or is it possible to also have the ability to select multiple loops (via programming ) with one switch as well?

Yep, that'd be a form of the Bank mode.

The Intelligent module can do this, although "easily configurable" is questionable. You can hold down a footswitch while powering on to turn on or off channel switching mode for that footswitch.
Yeah so essentially what I’m talking about is that, but having a way to program two separate channel switching pairs. Let’s say you have a fuzz in loop one and a rat in loop 5, and then YATS in loop 2 and a BB in loop 3— might want to be able to have channel switching between fuzz and rat, and then have channel switching between the two drive flavors, rather than having all 4 loops in the same channel switching ‘logic table’
Probably easiest to configure with dip switches in some way I guess?

It's surprising what a few CMOS logic chips can yield to provide some very interesting fixed, discrete logic switching scenarios without delving into Arduino or Raspberry Pi controllers.

Here's an example of of a one-of-four switching schematic using a few CMOS logic chips and a couple of CMOS analog switches . . . .
(Or it can be configured to drive relays instead of CMOS analog switches.)
There is also a means to achieve a one-of-eight switching with a different CMOS logic chip at the front end.
One-of-five switching could be achieved using the one-of-eight layout with a reset after the 5th option.

SPM_Switching_Schematic_4042_CHECK.png
This circuit has been verified on a breadboard . . . .
Stomp_Per_Mode_Breadboard_CD4042_Checked.jpg

Last edited:
I want to say that was made by Carl Martin, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Yep, the Octa-Switch.

Yep, that'd be a form of the Bank mode.
Would you real need a channel switching mode if you had this? Seems kind of redundant. We could just program one loop per switch in that case assuming bank mode would be user programmable.

Any room for a common buffer on a switch? Faders (perhaps a bit over the top)?

As much as I would like to see you put out some more advanced projects, I realize that would be catering to a smaller subset of your customer base. So I think the dip switches might be the more straightforward way to go, less intimidating, and ease of use and ability to acquire parts and build

Back