PedalPCB 5-Loop True Bypass Switcher

The hiccup there is that the copy makes a point to discuss the switchable input/output buffers. Any transistor switch will amount to a buffer of sorts.
Yep, like I said, I'm not suggesting this is what's happening in the Fender gadget. I was just describing a method of switching that could be technically still considered true-bypass.

Daniel from the GigRig discussed the fact that he wanted his switcher to never be buffered (unless you want to turn a buffer on) so I assume he has some sort of relay matrix in there? He didn’t go into details but I’m very curious.

I've only ever wanted to switch the order of my Wah to be honest, from first in line to AFTER the dirt.
I have a GuitarPcb board that has a double throw 4 pole switch, that you could make that easily. Be happy to send you one, I probably have the switch here too.

My calculations are that for 100% mechanical routing and switching one would need:

[X = No. of loops]
No. of SPDT relays = 2 * X * (X-1) + X

1 loop --> 2 relays
2 loop --> 6 relays
3 loop --> 15 relays
4 loop --> 28 relays
5 loop --> 45 relays

I doubt that's what they are doing on the fender switcher. I wonder if jumping all the loops and measuring with input/output with a DMM would give you continuity. That's what I would assume for "true by pass switching". (also it has a volume control integrated)
I though of a way to do it with less relays:
1706242322900.png

(Sorry for the horrible quality, I don't have my phone around so I used my webcam)

This way the amount of SPDTs needed is a lot less. I didn't decompose the function, but it's basically L squared (5loops is 25 spdt relays. 8 loops is 64 spdt relays).

I knew this thing was coming from a few posts elsewhere, but somehow missed there was this entire thread for it. :rolleyes:

Only read first page, gotta hit the hay, but Carl Martin Octaswitch was mentioned as having dipswitches — it wasn't the only one!
Early GigRig switchers and Flex Reaction series switchers (4 loop, 6 loop, etc)...

hqdefault.jpg

12c42e0ac7bf07442a4895f61e936dd9.jpg

I'll read the rest of the thread tomorrow and post something inane then.

Last edited:
I once silently watched the big lebowski on a trumpet players IPad in the pit during a professional performance of West Side Story. Using it on a book isn't actually that far fetched.

Low brass gets a lot of rests and tacets in the theater world. Pay per note was off the charts.

Did you at least have captions/subtitles?

Or are you not only a good sight-reader but a good lip-reader, too?

Switcher-Looper options in the DIY realm beyond a bunch of 3PDT footswitches that I've looked at...

BYOC Super8, though Jimilee was not keen on it, I have one, too, and think it's cool in theory; there's also...
THCustom's "EFFECT CONTROL" 5-loop switcher. (been meaning to get this, but Robert's version would be preferred)
JMK's "EPIC BYPASS LOOPER", a project developed with THCustom above (and available there, too. (I have this one).
UK-Electronic's "8-WAY LOOPER", which has some minimal MIDI functionability. Been meaning to order this one, too.

So... yeah. There's only so many features you can pack into a 1032L enclosure or Hammond BX2...

IN / OUT order is important to get right (ie how I want it) — scoff at that statement but there's a number of smaller DIY loopers I've passed on because of the way the in/out jacks were configured....

Did you at least have captions/subtitles?

Or are you not only a good sight-reader but a good lip-reader, too?

Switcher-Looper options in the DIY realm beyond a bunch of 3PDT footswitches that I've looked at...

BYOC Super8, though Jimilee was not keen on it, I have one, too, and think it's cool in theory; there's also...
THCustom's "EFFECT CONTROL" 5-loop switcher. (been meaning to get this, but Robert's version would be preferred)
JMK's "EPIC BYPASS LOOPER", a project developed with THCustom above (and available there, too. (I have this one).
UK-Electronic's "8-WAY LOOPER", which has some minimal MIDI functionability. Been meaning to order this one, too.

So... yeah. There's only so many features you can pack into a 1032L enclosure or Hammond BX2...

IN / OUT order is important to get right (ie how I want it) — scoff at that statement but there's a number of smaller DIY loopers I've passed on because of the way the in/out jacks were configured....
The trumpet player offered me one side of his ear buds but I was terrified that I'd miss a cue. I think I said something like "I can recite 100% of that movie." Which was pretty close to true at the time.

Back