PedalPCB Simulcast for my SCHMORG

dawson

"Germanium transistors- who needs 'em?" I ignorantly thought..

I mostly play in a band rather than in a studio, so the idea of expensive, scarce parts that are going to perform differently based on temperature just seems like paying extra for something unreliable. Although I respected that others were getting great results from germanium transistors, I decided to avoid them for the most part. That was a mistake.

Finally, thanks to years of hype around the forum praising the Simulcast, I'm slowly beginning to pull my head out of the sand to hear the magnificence I've been missing out on.

Here's my build:

mof4yFx.jpg

kU7bfEf.jpg

I couldn't find a good price on an OC71 so I tested a couple different transistors from SynthCube/Small Bear ranging from 45-92 hFE and kept the 92.
*Don't worry, I used a heat-sink while soldering.

seOP9TC.jpg

Without attempting to put words to the nuances of its' tonality, I can tell you that the Simulcast makes an old set of strings sound like a new set of strings- the individual note definition that can be achieved with this circuit makes it unique out of anything I've played through.
It can also be dialed in to respond to picking dynamics remarkably well, going from clear -> overdriven based on attack. My AC30 really likes this thing.
Others have praised the circuits' distortion sounds, which are fine, but among my tools it's most valuable as a boosting preamp.

You may recognize the image I've etched on the plate if you're into conspiracy theories and crop circles like I am. :alien: Wikipedia.Org

The faceplate can mount into my SCHMORG pedalboard/rack build, or all alone in a 'dummy' 125B:
obbma6V.jpg
ILrLpoj.jpg

More on that here: SCHMORG

Thanks for reading!

A worthy addition to the SCHMORG!!!

An incredible job all the way around man! I love how you ground the 3pdt to the back plate!

Thanks @benny_profane - the B.O.M. forced me to do a bit more shopping than usual!

This build has been in the works for awhile- I posted the graphic in the 'Drawing Board' thread to ask about toggle switch labels.

@Harry Klippton I'll need some more time fiddling with ordering and balance to get it to work along with my other effects- for example, when I run my favorite sounds through the parallel blend, it sounds like it's about to explode.. 🙃
*But if we're just talking guitar>Simulcast>AC30 I like the higher side of the LEVEL and GAIN and the lower 25-50% of the LOW CUT while also cutting some lows using the 'bass contour' control of my guitar. Sounds like I'm playing a hollow-body filled with sparkling water.

@SYLV9ST9R I still have the unpopulated V1 PCB here to prove it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm looking forward to the Duocast Mini!

Back