Pendulum Harmonic Tremolo

Sweet build! I’m curious what’s wrong with the vactrols? I did notice on my build I had to ‘tune’ it by adjusts the LED/LDR distance to balance the bass and treble, so is it out of balance?

In this particular build, the impact is that the speed control seems to do nothing.
In the Sproing Deluxe build I fixed today (had same Vactrol, switched to LDR/LED), the tremolo sounded like it had a Tube Screamer in line.

Literally, if the Gain was low enough it sounded like a tremolo, anything above 2% gain introduced a gnarly overdrive.
net, net, the min and max resistance of LDRs, and a bunch of other tolerances are all over the place for similiar, but different components.

putting the wrong LDR in is simliar to putting the wrong resistor in a circuit. (in fact, it's not similiar, it's EXACTLY what I did...)

lesson learned, before soldering, (check the documentation, or ask for help)

That is quite a beautiful pedal! I get the impression of acid etching, with wiped off ink/paint—but have a feeling it’s more of a print. What technique did you use? From the gut shot, I get a sense that the stippling continues down the pedal sides. Just lovely.

ot, I get a sense that the stippling contin
I'm still constantly messing with the recipe, but for this one:
  1. Laser printed design in negative to heat transfer paper
  2. heat transferred to pedal with iron
  3. For this one, I used Muriatic Acid, but I've since switched to Ferric Chloride for the etchant
  4. then I sprayed a thin coat of matte black paint
  5. super lightly sanded
Since this one I've started doing a slower, deeper etch, super fine sanding the high spots, using an enamel paint crayon kinda thing to apply the paint then wiping off the enamel crayon goo just so in order to leave a bit in the "shadows" while polishing the hilights.

As to the etching continuing down the sides... That is totally planned and complete under my control.... I only acheive that look via arduous quality control processes fine tuned over years of experience.

Or. I just dump the pedals in a vat of chemicals...

😊

Isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Then there’s this thingy I do with a paper towel that sops it up.

thingy: after scrubbing with the toothbrush, while the board is still wet with alcohol. lay a couple layers of paper towel on the board and use the toothbrush to scrub the towel against the board, a lot of the residual goop gets sucked up into the paper that is hard to "sweep" away with just a brush. BTW, don't even TRY to use cotton balls,,, what a freaking mess that makes...

THEN use the IPA, the hoppier the better...

Back