SOLVED Phase II No Work Right…

Coda

I get the filter, but no phase. The LED blinks, but it doesn’t seem to affect the tone. However…if I have it plugged in and on, and I move my finger towards the LED, or the TL072 just above, I can create the phase effect. It sounds great if I stand there and move my finger to and away from the top-left quadrant of the PCB…but I’m afraid that will take away from my showmanship, what having to stand there and manually create the effect…

Attachments

• 2E8538F2-6229-4457-B0EB-0E9EF21A6576.jpeg
    2E8538F2-6229-4457-B0EB-0E9EF21A6576.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 46ED108B-2EB7-44E1-9080-8EFB1F57EA58.jpeg
    46ED108B-2EB7-44E1-9080-8EFB1F57EA58.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: fig
I would say that it totally seems plausible. But given the fact that I can manually create phase, it seems like the IC’s are ok. Though, thinking about it. Maybe the IC’s aren’t amplifying the phased signal enough, and it’s too low in the mix?…
You need @Chuck D. Bones he knows what he's talking about

Did you probe IC5.2 pins 5 and 6 see what's going in there

When you put your magic finger on it is your hand casting a shadow over anything making it darker like one of the LDRs etc and is the audio level normal volume when you get it to phase

You need @Chuck D. Bones he knows what he's talking about

Did you probe IC5.2 pins 5 and 6 see what's going in there

When you put your magic finger on it is your hand casting a shadow over anything making it darker like one of the LDRs etc and is the audio level normal volume when you get it to phase

I’ll probe IC5 tomorrow. The magic finger works in light, as well as in the light void that is a goth leather coat…

Haha great you've obviously got the touch

Did I not see you post something regarding noise on your scope recently?

If you've got a scope you could check each phase stage make sure the filters work and so on

I think it's just one of those weird one's where you'd maybe need to actually see it

Haha great you've obviously got the touch

Did I not see you post something regarding noise on your scope recently?

If you've got a scope you could check each phase stage make sure the filters work and so on

I think it's just one of those weird one's where you'd maybe need to actually see it

No scope. It might help, but I wouldn’t even know how to turn it on. I don’t see this one working. I’ll add it to the duds bin.

No scope. It might help, but I wouldn’t even know how to turn it on. I don’t see this one working. I’ll add it to the duds bin.
I'm sure you'll suss it out

Nothing worse than when it works but not quite right those are the difficult one's to debug

A bit like trying to find oscillation when the audio paths fine all the way through

I'm sure you'll suss it out

Nothing worse than when it works but not quite right those are the difficult one's to debug

A bit like trying to find oscillation when the audio paths fine all the way through

Every couple of months I pull out my Klon build. It works…as long as the jacks are removed from the enclosure. There’s a ground issue somewhere, but I can’t find it. I’ll rotate it with the Phase II now…

I had that problem once could not find it then for some reason I decided to continuity check the jack solder lugs

Bingo! ground and tip had continuity the jack mechanism had come loose and moved a tiny bit connecting them and dumping everything to ground

Obviously not your problem but it's little totally unexpected stuff that throws you

Maybe the issue is this batch of TL072's. I just build a Topographer Distortion...which sounds more like a Topographer slight clean-boost. Both were built using the same batch of TL072...

Maybe the issue is this batch of TL072's. I just build a Topographer Distortion...which sounds more like a Topographer slight clean-boost. Both were built using the same batch of TL072...
So I assembled a @Chuck D. Bones OpAmp testing circuit, and it looks like my TL072's are ok. So that eliminates that from the list...

given that the LDR reacts to shadows cast by your fingers, AND the LED cycles between light and dark, do you get any phasing at all when you close everything up (or take steps to cover the open back of the enclosure to block out any other light source? any variation when you change the rate and the depth controls?

Reactions: fig
…do you get any phasing at all when you close everything up (or take steps to cover the open back of the enclosure to block out any other light source? any variation when you change the rate and the depth controls?

No, and no.

Are you testing it in the dark?

I’ve tested it in broad sunlight, I’ve tested in day and night. I’ve tested it in goth coat dark…perhaps I’ll test it in a park?…

Last edited:
Back