SOLVED Phase II No Work Right…

Coda

I get the filter, but no phase. The LED blinks, but it doesn’t seem to affect the tone. However…if I have it plugged in and on, and I move my finger towards the LED, or the TL072 just above, I can create the phase effect. It sounds great if I stand there and move my finger to and away from the top-left quadrant of the PCB…but I’m afraid that will take away from my showmanship, what having to stand there and manually create the effect…

Attachments

• 2E8538F2-6229-4457-B0EB-0E9EF21A6576.jpeg
    2E8538F2-6229-4457-B0EB-0E9EF21A6576.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 46ED108B-2EB7-44E1-9080-8EFB1F57EA58.jpeg
    46ED108B-2EB7-44E1-9080-8EFB1F57EA58.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: fig
What would a gig like this pay? I could sit there and wave my finger while you played. I could also work in a tambourine solo if the coin was there.

I’ll have my people’s people contact your people’s people, and we’ll hammer it out. You’re on the hook for your own private jet…

I found some measurements for Q1 in another thread. It should read C: 8.8, B: 4.2, E: 3.6. I am reading C: 8.8, B: 7ish, E: 6ish.

Here is what I'm seeing at IC5:
1) 7.2
2) .50
3) .51
4) -7.73
5) 0
6) 0
7) 0
8) 8.7

IC's 1, 2, 3, and 4 read as follows:
1) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4) -7.73
5) 0
6) 0
7) 0
8) 8.77

IC6
1) -6.33
2) 0
3) goes from 4v down to -4v, and then back
4) -7.71
5) 0
6) 0
7) goes from 4v down to -4v, and then back
8) 8.11

I probed and was able to trace the signal all the way out. There is just no sweep. Is there a way to test the LDR's?...

Last edited:
I don't know how accurate it'd be but I'd measure the resistance path from ground to the otherside of the 220Ks in parallel with each LDR with the LED off then with the LED on and see if it changes as expected according to the light and dark resistances

At least you'll know if they function

I don't know how accurate it'd be but I'd measure the resistance path from ground to the otherside of the 220Ks in parallel with each LDR with the LED off then with the LED on and see if it changes as expected according to the light and dark resistances

At least you'll know if they function

I’ll update once I figure out how to do that efficiently…

If you've got a goth pal ask for a loan of his black leather coat and fling that over it to see if it is light related

Reading through your post I'm doubtful it's the LDRs but I could be wrong! because it works with your hovering finger it sounds like they must be ok under certain conditions

I'm taking it you've messed with the trimmers

These posts were different problems but some info on the circuit that might help

The other diysb links on this post

Last edited:
If you've got a goth pal ask for a loan of his black leather coat and fling that over it to see if it is light related

Reading through your post I'm doubtful it's the LDRs but I could be wrong! because it works with your hovering finger it sounds like they must be ok under certain conditions

I'm taking it you've messed with the trimmers

These posts were different problems but some info on the circuit that might help

The other diysb links on this post

Trimmers: yes. The 10k trimmer adjust the brightness of the LED, and the 1k adjust the frequency (I think). I hear no difference when I adjust the 1k, which I think makes sense since I dont have any phase. However, it did just occur to me that if this trimmer adjust the frequency, I should be able to hear a difference, since I am getting the filtered effect. There is no swoosh, however...

it's all about dialing in a range of dim to less-dim range for the led, and the range of how-dim and how-light is set to whatever works best with the LDR.

set the rate to a slow speed and measure the voltage on the second leg of the depth pot when it is in the minimum and maximum rotations. let us know what you get on each one --- especially if it is a constant voltage that does not pulse or change speed when you make small adjustments to the rate pot.

The trim pots adjust the amplitude and center bias of the LFO, they won't affect the frequency.

Just to be sure I understand, your LFO LED is pulsing? Do the Rate/Depth controls have any effect on the rate or brightness?

Also, if you move your hand around the LDRs you do hear a phasing effect?

Just to be sure I understand, your LFO LED is pulsing? Do the Rate/Depth controls have any effect on the rate or brightness?

Also, if you move your hand around the LDRs you do hear a phasing effect?

The LED (yellow) is pulsing, the depth control changes the brightness and the range control speeds up/slows down the pulse. I do hear a phasing effect when I use my hand…

Maybe Manual Phasers will be the next craze?…

Last edited:
no pulsing when it is in the enclosure? maybe the LED is shorting out to something in the case?

have you tried the pedal in a dark room when you cover it with a goth leather coat after making sure you see the LED is pulsing?

This is bizarre. The LDRs are working and the led/lfo is working. I can't see what, other than light pollution would cause this behaviour. The bypass led should be prohibited from shining any light inside the enclosure, but it shouldn't be bright enough to render it completely inactive.

Back