Powersound Boost vs Powersound Overdrive

I built the overdrive without the charge pump, but I don’t have the boost. I assumed I wanted the volume knob, and that the circuits were otherwise the same. I can’t remember if that is correct or not.

I definitely recommend the overdrive. It’s fun on its own, in front of a muff, and behind a muff. Balancing the gain and volume can make a bunch of useful sounds.

I have the one that use to be the only one around here. As it was explained to me, Overdriver mode was the gain maxed and the Vol where it needs to be, and power boost mode was volume maxed and gain where it could be (I used "could" instead of "needs" because its flippin loud). I personally believe that the Overdriver is more practical, which is the reason it originally came out, I believe...

Also, paging @Big Monk ...

The boost is loud as hell. It starts at above unity with the volume knob all the way down.

Unless you're goosing a cranked amp I'd personally go with the overdrive.

You'll probably want to use a lower value pot for Gain.... I spec'd it like the original schematic on the PCB, but it doesn't do much until the very top end of rotation then goes from clean to distorted in an almost uncomfortable fraction of rotation. (My understanding is that this is normal behavior for the original)

I believe C1K is a popular choice. I didn't have a C-taper when I built the prototype but B1K improved it quite a bit. C is probably the way to go.

You'll probably want to use a lower value pot for Gain.... I spec'd it like the original schematic on the PCB, but it doesn't do much until the very top end of rotation then goes from clean to distorted in an almost uncomfortable fraction of rotation. (My understanding is that this is normal behavior for the original)
But that's part of the charm! No one buys a Les Paul if they want a properly intonated G string...

Actually I've been thinking about building a volume pedal. Does anyone make a DIY project? Seems like it would simple enough to wire one up.

edit: sorry for hijacking my own thread.....

You really just need a wah enclosure, some jacks, and a pot.

Unless you want some sort of active / buffered thing. That might be a good project to work up..... :unsure:

I just sold my Vick Audio Overdriver. I was getting tired of the RF and nothing I could do would stop it.

With that said, here are my thoughts about this style/format of pedal based on playing one for almost 1.5 years:

1.) It doesn’t matter how you configure this style pedal, which one you build, etc. Either way/model you do, if you crank the master and/or gain, it is OBSCENELY loud. Like louder than anything you’ve ever hit the front of your amp with. It’s not the most useful tone in the world but you HAVE to, IMHO, experience it at least once or twice in your life.

2.) 9vDC vs. 18 vDC doesn’t matter all that much with the gainier/fuzzier tones. When used as a clean boost or mild overdrive, I preferred 18 vDC.

3.) This is an exemplary clean boost, particularly into a mid focused amp. The whole amp seems to have more presence, note definition and body without altering the fundamental tone. This is a truly transparent boost/low gain drive of configured a certain way.

4.) You want that big bold medium gain drive like you hear on “Shine On You Crazy Diamond”? This and a loud, clean, mid focused amp will do it.

5.) I auditioned 1k, 2k and 5k A, B and C taper pots for the drive control. 2kB was the best overall. Using a C taper pot robbed it of the subtler clean boost range on the dial.

Anyway, just my $0.02. For the record, I’ll be replacing it with the EHX Crayon per the recommendations and reviews on Gilmourish.

Back