Nontransparent Booster pedal for Strat and Tele

hamerfan

The thing is, that i want to build a booster pedal for a friend. He is using a TC Electronic Spark sometimes, it boosts good enough but it should also shape the plinkiness of both guitars for a fuller sound. I lent him my go-to-tool for that, a Ibanez STL/TS9 clone, but its not his favorite.
My other idea is a EQD Arrow clone or a Colorsound Booster clone (PPCB Powersound).
What else to look at?

The thing is, that i want to build a booster pedal for a friend. He is using a TC Electronic Spark sometimes, it boosts good enough but it should also shape the plinkiness of both guitars for a fuller sound. I lent him my go-to-tool for that, a Ibanez STL/TS9 clone, but its not his favorite.
My other idea is a EQD Arrow clone or a Colorsound Booster clone (PPCB Powersound).
What else to look at?
The sea foam pedal has a bass mid and treble pot, I believe.

Maybe look into a compressor? What you describe sounds a bit like using a compressor as a boost and for some additional shaping (takes out the plink and keeps the low end consistent). I have a boneyard delegate that I quite enjoy for this. But there are lots of boosts as well that tone shape. I just haven't made them yet.

Have you considered the JHS Haunting Mids? I recently built it and I find it very versatile especially on single coil guitars.

I lent him a Ibanez STL/ST-9 clone which has variable mid hump, no scoop though. I think you only pushed the mids with it?

Is he looking for similar to the Spark, or for a different flavour?

Peccary and a few others here swear by the Mercurial Boost — Catalinbread Varioboost
Obtuse Boost — Fulltone FB-2 Fat Boost
Pariah mid-boost — Way Huge Tone Leper

I think the Barbershop (PPCB Chop Shop) makes a great boost, and a lot of people seem to find it's in the same vein as the Spark but different enough to have both.

If he's looking for FULLER sound for Strat/Tele, maybe consider a Bass Boost or Fullrange.

Fat Bottom Boost — Ibanez BB9 Big Bottom Boost

Micro-Addition Boost — MXR Micro Amp+

So many boosts to choose from! Tough to choose without more info
Depends on how he's using it, what he's using it for, his preferences/biases, Strat/Tele through what amp/signal-chain ...

Is he looking for similar to the Spark, or for a different flavour?

Peccary and a few others here swear by the Mercurial Boost — Catalinbread Varioboost
Obtuse Boost — Fulltone FB-2 Fat Boost
Pariah mid-boost — Way Huge Tone Leper

I think the Barbershop (PPCB Chop Shop) makes a great boost, and a lot of people seem to find it's in the same vein as the Spark but different enough to have both.

If he's looking for FULLER sound for Strat/Tele, maybe consider a Bass Boost or Fullrange.

Fat Bottom Boost — Ibanez BB9 Big Bottom Boost

Micro-Addition Boost — MXR Micro Amp+

So many boosts to choose from! Tough to choose without more info
Depends on how he's using it, what he's using it for, his preferences/biases, Strat/Tele through what amp/signal-chain ...
Yeah, i think thats right. Similar to the Spark but different flavour. He has always trouble to cut thru in the mix.

If he's having trouble cutting through, you'd think he'd like some mids. 🤷🏽‍♂️

If he doesn't like the Ibby STL w/ mids shaping, then perhaps just a straight up mids-booster that can be used with or without the Spark.

Gotta go right now or I'd put up some links...

Maybe the Underscore (Active tone stack, BMT) or the Hyped Boost (Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz (Clean Boost mode).

I know you said coloured, but... maybe try clean boost with what he has, something with control over low-mids & hi-mids.

Chuck's got the best idea there.
I have found on stage I always pushed up the midrange on my amp and my overdrive when using my telecaster.
An eq would help find the specific frequencies your looking for and how much to boost them.

Back