Random pix

I've seen Zeeland credited before as being the place that New Zealand was named after, but I always assumed that NZ was named after Zealand in Denmark? Zealand probably doesn't look much like NZ but Zeeland really doesn't look like NZ either!

I've seen Zeeland credited before as being the place that New Zealand was named after, but I always assumed that NZ was named after Zealand in Denmark? Zealand probably doesn't look much like NZ but Zeeland really doesn't look like NZ either!
Nieuw Zeeland was named by Abel Tasman, a Dutch explorer who “discovered” the inhabited island. Zeeland is a Dutch province, a bunch of islands and sea locks. It’s beautiful and full of tasty mussels!

Aha! Now I know. I've seen Zeeland from Google and noticed it is kinda wet. It makes sense seeing as zee is sea in Dutch/Flemish. (It's almost as if the languages were somehow related...)

I wonder how it became Zealand?

Australia means "Great Southern Land increasing inhabited by Kiwis".

Aha! Now I know. I've seen Zeeland from Google and noticed it is kinda wet. It makes sense seeing as zee is sea in Dutch/Flemish. (It's almost as if the languages were somehow related...)

I wonder how it became Zealand?

Australia means "Great Southern Land increasing inhabited by Kiwis".
To the googles!

Back