Returned to a build and now the gain is gone.

HunkFunkPedals

I built a muffin fuzz, green Russian variety, a couple months back. I was doing some tests and now the gain is gone...

Its still kind of loud...but has the gain of a a blues driver.

never had this happen...any guesses?

Did you socket the transistors? I’ve had this happen before and had to pull them out and put them back in and after the second time I just soldered them in.

Did you socket the transistors? I’ve had this happen before and had to pull them out and put them back in and after the second time I just soldered them in.
I did socket them....maybe they didnt seat correctly?

Edit: they are now soldered...i'm taking it apart.....didn't change anything.....

Last edited:
If it worked before just fine but not anymore that probably means there was a cold solder joint that came loose. Reinspect all solder joints again and reflow all suspects. Also post some pics so we can help you.

What’s going with those electrolytics? They look like they are not mounted through both holes. Is it just the camera angle?
The pcb has two pads for GND for some of the ECs…

P9upHwL.jpg

Do you have an audio probe @HunkFunkPedals ?

As a long time BB King fan, I have to correct you. It's not "The gain has gone" it's "The thrill has gone", and he doesn't sing "a-gain" he sings "away". And I don't believe he ever used pedals in the first place.

I have noticed that a ometimes things can touch and short out together, resulting in some interesting tones.
Interesting, I'm definitely going to triple check but there is pretty good space back there and it did the same thing when I had the PCB out of the case.

I'm thinking maybe it's the diodes? The clipping in the muff circuit comes from the diodes if I'm not mistaken.

Back