Roboto, unorthodox behaviour

ficelles

Built my Roboto and it worked right off, except not quite how I was expecting... so starting with the control knob fully clockwise like the DBA Robot:

Mode 1: Fuzz, nicely crushed turning control knob anti-clockwise
Mode 2: Full step down, like a drop D. Turning control anti-clockwise makes a pitch shift sound, but when you stop the pitch is still the same as before but sounds arpeggiated.
Mode 3: 4th up. Like mode 2 turning control anti-clockwise makes a pitch shift sound, but when you stop the pitch is still the same but sounds arpeggiated.
Mode 3: 5th down so octave down from mode 4 4th up. Like mode 2 turning control anti-clockwise makes a pitch shift sound, but when you stop the pitch is still the same but sounds arpeggiated.

Very odd... first suspected the rotary so replaced it with one from pedalpcb, same results.

Could it be I have a dud HT8950? I found a brand x i.e. unknown off fleabay, so...

Last edited:
Replying to my own question...

There are multiple versions of the HT8950 and they don't all work well in the Roboto.

A009K1492 - don't use this one. Fuzz/bitcrush works, octave and arpeggiator behaviour is not good.
9841K0362 - Fuzz/bitcrush works, arpeggiator works as expected, octaves are interesting.

I've ordered a few so will update as I try them, if anyone knows the version which works best please share :)

Last edited:
Built my Roboto and it worked right off, except not quite how I was expecting... so starting with the control knob fully clockwise like the DBA Robot:

Mode 1: Fuzz, nicely crushed turning control knob anti-clockwise
Mode 2: Full step down, like a drop D. Turning control anti-clockwise makes a pitch shift sound, but when you stop the pitch is still the same as before but sounds arpeggiated.
Mode 3: 4th up. Like mode 2 turning control anti-clockwise makes a pitch shift sound, but when you stop the pitch is still the same but sounds arpeggiated.
Mode 3: 5th down so octave down from mode 4 4th up. Like mode 2 turning control anti-clockwise makes a pitch shift sound, but when you stop the pitch is still the same but sounds arpeggiated.

Very odd... first suspected the rotary so replaced it with one from pedalpcb, same results.

Could it be I have a dud HT8950? I found a brand x i.e. unknown off fleabay, so...
The controls are a little different than normal. Full CW for the first 3 settings keeps the LFO pitched to unity. As you said, rolling it off CCW makes it detune into total noise. But for the 4th mode on the arpeggiator, the knob controls the rate of the arpeggio. So full CCW is a slow up and down both above and below the note if I recall, and speeds up rapidly as you increase to full CW. I got a couple random HT8950 of eBay so I guess I lucked out with the right version. Let me know if you need a working one. I have a couple extra just in case.

Back