Screen Printing Process for Pedals Breakdown

WheatAndBarley

Wasn't sure exactly which forum to post this on so I can move it if need be.

Last build report I posted I had some suggestions to put together some sort of tutorial on how I screen print my pedals and since I'm working on some new builds thought I'd try to document my process a bit. I don't really want to label it a tutorial because I don't want to encourage someone to do the exact same process as this since it's pretty specific to the space I work in and the materials that I use. I got into printmaking as a purely artistic endeavour but gradually branched into doing my pedal builds after a few years of experience. Previously I was paying for access to this studio to work on my art and do the pedals on the side but since September I've been teaching intro screen printing courses which gives me free studio access. I would of course recommend everyone try taking a screen printing course, its a ton of fun and very satisfying, but I wouldn't really recommend anyone pick up screen printing with the sole purpose of printing pedals at the scale I'm doing (mostly one at a time lol). Screen printing itself requires a decent amount of infrastructure, studio space, and materials that need to either be bought or supplied by a rental fee at a studio so it is absolutely not the most economical way to get designs onto the enclosures.

Enough blathering, here's the album with descriptions under each image:

So yeah, quite a bit of work for what you end up with. Also a lot of materials and equipment, definitely would not be keen on doing this at home.

Quick note about the ink, I'm using Jacquard brand screen inks, the opaque varieties for colours and 'super opaque' for the white: https://www.jacquardproducts.com/jacquard-screen-ink

I can heat set it pretty quickly to get on to the next layer, unlike normal printing where I'd need to let the ink air dry on the paper before I did the next layer. I will say that it's not super super strong. It is VERY permanent once its dried, I've printed T shirts with it before that still look new. You have to really try but you can chip it off with your fingernails, its not nearly as strong as enamel inks but the tradeoff is for ease of use. As I understand it with enamel inks you have to use a solvent that completely strips the screen of the emulsion to properly clean it, whereas I can rinse this stuff out with warm water. Additionally if I mess up the first layer of one I can scrub it off with a sponge and warm water and try again easily enough. I am interested in trying some enamel ink but I had trouble finding suppliers in Canada that wouldn't end up with me spending hundreds of dollars on a large bucket of one colour, whereas the inks I got are ~$10-30 each depending on the size.

Thanks for checking this out and I'm happy to answer any questions!

Do you clear coat the enclosures after printing or is the print tough enough to stay on it's own? I've thought about getting a screen set up to make a fuzz pedal design, but really haven't looked into it yet because it seems like uv printing would be more convenient. Thing is I don't have the software or the skillset currently for UV printing either.

Somehow missed this one when it was posted! Looks super cool! I’m a huge fan of serigraphy (in addition to collecting music gear, I collect serigraphic prints) and I dabbled with screen printing in highschool. I’ve always wanted to do some pedal enclosure prints, but I’m not set up for it rn. I’m planning on taking advanced printmaking the semester after the next though, so maybe by next year I’ll be able to utilize the info you’ve shared. Cheers!

As an update to this I've been looking into new inks for my builds! The jacquard ink is good but not all that sturdy, you can scratch it off with your fingernail if you dig really hard. If I clearcoat it its a lot stronger but still not the best, and also I live in Canada and don't have an indoor place to spray so once its below freezing I can't clear coat anymore.

Anyways, one of the inks I'm looking at is actually an automotive paint from a company called 1Shot. I've seen some videos and other DIY people talk about using it since it prints well and cures very strong, but requires special chemicals for cleanup.

The other is epoxy based ink from Nazdar. Its a bit more expensive and requires a catalyst to activate but I believe is more an an 'industry standard' for screen printing enclosures. Very strong, apparently you can use it to screen print on dishware and things like that.

Both of these inks have curing processes as well. I'm planning on trying both and I'll update this thread when I do!

Looking forward to seeing the update. My wife has done some screen printing and we have a small set-up - just need to figure out the right inks, etc.

For "bare metal" enclosures (like a big muff style) - do you clearcoat it first, or are there inks that will print directly on the metal?

Looking forward to seeing the update. My wife has done some screen printing and we have a small set-up - just need to figure out the right inks, etc.

For "bare metal" enclosures (like a big muff style) - do you clearcoat it first, or are there inks that will print directly on the metal?
Nope, but I clearcoat them after. Currently I'm using that Jacquard ink since it sticks pretty well to both the bare metal or powder coated surface and it also washes off fairly easily before it dries if I don't like how it prints. I wouldn't recommend using typical speedball stuff because its meant to print onto porous substrates like paper or fabric so it mostly just smears on the enclosure surfaces and can be rubbed off quite easily.

Nope, but I clearcoat them after. Currently I'm using that Jacquard ink since it sticks pretty well to both the bare metal or powder coated surface and it also washes off fairly easily before it dries if I don't like how it prints. I wouldn't recommend using typical speedball stuff because its meant to print onto porous substrates like paper or fabric so it mostly just smears on the enclosure surfaces and can be rubbed off quite easily.
Oh yeah, I'm a chemist, I understand speedball and paper inks aren't going to work. My wife's set up was originally for fabric.

What about those epoxy inks you mention, do you have a link or more information on them?

I’m getting into screen printing I have almost everything except the paint.

I was thinking of going with one shot is this a good option for screen printing? If not then I’ll go with the Nazdar ADE epoxy paint. Thanks in advance.

I don’t have any experience with screen printing, but I’m a big fan of screened art on pedals. I’d like to get into it eventually.

This seems like a pretty good tutorial for how you’d set up a screen for using one shot:

This is where i got the info on using one shot. I might get some of the one shot and some of the Nazdar and see which ones i prefer.

I’m getting into screen printing I have almost everything except the paint.

I was thinking of going with one shot is this a good option for screen printing? If not then I’ll go with the Nazdar ADE epoxy paint. Thanks in advance.
Lots of people I talk to online use oneshot stuff, seems to be a lot more available than the Nazdar stuff. Since I did this thread I got myself some ADE and tried printing with it, it's pretty incredible compared to the other stuff I'm using but its an absolute pain to clean. I would bet the oneshot stuff is similar, you'd need a solvent to clean it so I wouldn't recommend unless you have a well ventilated space to work in. I'm going to keep using it because it cost me like $130 and I now have a large can of it that will last me a very long time.

Lots of people I talk to online use oneshot stuff, seems to be a lot more available than the Nazdar stuff. Since I did this thread I got myself some ADE and tried printing with it, it's pretty incredible compared to the other stuff I'm using but its an absolute pain to clean. I would bet the oneshot stuff is similar, you'd need a solvent to clean it so I wouldn't recommend unless you have a well ventilated space to work in. I'm going to keep using it because it cost me like $130 and I now have a large can of it that will last me a very long time.
Thank you for this. This is a huge help. For the Nazdar how do you go about cleaning? Any cleaning agents?

He points out in that video that you’d want to have your screens made to be compatible with your intended ink (mesh size, and an emulsion that will be compatible with your solvent). He mentions that mineral spirits will clean the one shot out. Not sure what the solvents are for the epoxy inks, but I’d imagine they may be harsher than mineral spirits?

@WheatAndBarley mentioned he’s using an ink that cleans up with water, which is a very nice feature if you’re intending to work in your home, even if there might be a trade off in durability.

I

He points out in that video that you’d want to have your screens made to be compatible with your intended ink (mesh size, and an emulsion that will be compatible with your solvent). He mentions that mineral spirits will clean the one shot out. Not sure what the solvents are for the epoxy inks, but I’d imagine they may be harsher than mineral spirits?

@WheatAndBarley mentioned he’s using an ink that cleans up with water, which is a very nice feature if you’re intending to work in your home, even if there might be a trade off in durability.

I
This is exactly what I’m worried about. If anything i can go on the side of my house and clean the screen so the fumes won’t get out of hand.

I went ahead and made sure I got the right emulsion as well. The one I got can work with solvent based paints.

Im thinking on getting that Nazdar...I think the fact that you can wash it out with water makes it much easier to work with in my situation.

Last edited:
My wife is a printmaker. She has several of the Gocco printers, which are a small (~4x6inches?) format, almost automated set up. Getting additional screens may be an issue, I’m not sure if they are still in production. But, if I wanted to screen pedals, I’d look into it, since it’s a good way to avoid a lot of equipment that would be oversized for pedal use (unless you’re doing production, and gang up many pedals per pull).

it’s also worth looking into what studios are “open to the public” in your area.

Back